Re: The Birds and the Bees

Previously our patio had wall-mounted "pod" speakers (as when Spehro

> and wife visited). > > But the dumb birds thought the flat-top enclosures were for building > nests on :-( > > So this Spring I pulled them down. > > Then I cut a small access hole to feel for clearance and ordered flush > mount speakers. > > Tuesday morning I was greeted by a swarm of bees trying to put a hive > into my access hole. > > Beekeeper came and took away the bees... used my 12' step-ladder > because of the ceiling height. > > I left the ladder standing there so I could go ahead and install the > speakers. > > Today a dove decided to try to build a nest on top of my ladder :-( > > Aaaaargh!

I had a problem with birds sitting on a phone wire crapping on my SUV parked below in my drive. I bought a fake barn owl and mounted it on the peak of my garage roof and now, no more bird crap.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Reminds me of my fathers at the time brand new International Harvester Scout. It was a metallic shit brown, typical for 1979 vintage.

Anyhow the birds LOVED to crap on this truck. Loved it.

Any other car was fine, but that truck was constantly shat upon.

Near my house is a billboard with an owl mounted on top. While driving by one day I saw a bird standing on top of the owl. I wished I had my camera with me! Mike

Reply to
amdx

Paradise Valley Mall started out with a fake owl... it did nothing.

Now they have a real owl, and there's not a single pigeon to be seen anywhere near the place ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Might make for an interesting study because, from the stories, some fake owls seem to work while others don't so it strikes me that what humans perceive as a reasonable facsimile may not match what the birds 'see'.

Reply to
flipper

[snip]

Probably would be best to use a stuffed owl with some head rotation and perhaps moving side-to-side on the ledge.

In my back yard:

...Jim Thompson

I have no idea. I mean, lizards move too but that doesn't scare them off so I don't know what the 'its an owl' cues are.

As a side, but obliquely related, note, there is speculation that what we imagine as 'dragons', which seems to be cross cultural, is a fantasy collection of in-born subliminal cues about what's 'dangerous'. And then there's the persistent impression that 'pretty' means 'good' and 'ugly' means 'bad',

Looks good to me... but I'm not a bird ;)

Reply to
flipper

That's a real live owl.

...Jim Thompson

That might explain why it looked so good to me ;)

Although, technically, 'that' is a digitized image of "a real live owl." I believe you but, as far as the picture goes (perception), it 'could' be a stuffed fake.

Reply to
flipper

That owl initially was a nuisance... 4 years ago I thought he was going to make off with one of my Dachshund puppies, so I threw some pebbles at him. So he buzzed me so close I could feel the wind from his wings ;-(

Now he just comes around annually and sits in the tree and hoots ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Good thing you don't comprende owl because I doubt he's composing love sonnets to you. hehe

Reply to
flipper

A year or two ago, a falcon spent a few days in Palo Alto. Part of the time it was on the top of City Hall, one of the taller buildings around. The local birders were very happy. Various non-birders complained about getting bombarded with rejected pigeon parts.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

Well, if he gave a hoot, that is ;)

Reply to
flipper