Design of an electronics laboratory

Hi all,

I have been given the task to design an electronics laboratory.

Do anyone know of any standard/guidelines that should be used when designing such a lab. I am not referring to Health and Safety rules etc more on ergonomic standards like size of desks, ideal workspace area per student etc.

Thanks very much for any help

Joseph

Reply to
joseph

Frankly, if you can't figure out something this simple on your own, I suspect that you have no business trying to teach the stuff.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My post on Jan 22, 2007 came to mind. 'Amusing Chair Stealing Story from R&D Company'

Enjoy :)

Oh...and locking tool drawers. I bought a set of toy plastic tools. A plastic screwdriver, plastic pliers, plastic hammer, plastic wrenches etc.. Whenever someone wanted to borrow a tool, I gave them a plastic toy tool. :P

'What? What's wrong? These are high quality tools?'

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

You can shorten links such as the above to:

Guy Macon

Ah...thanks..

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

He didn't say he was the professor Rich. Why don't you tell him what the AF school workbenches were like. :)

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Each workbench (for basics) had a couple of power supplies, some example components with binding posts, like inductors, capacitors and resistors; about half a dozen benches which we'd sometimes share; one scope on a dolly for the whole room, and that's about it. Oh, just remembered - at least one bench had 2 "regular" synchros (Selsyn motors) and one differential synchro. And everybody gets a PSM-6 VOM.

By the time you graduated basics and went on to specialized equipment, it was just tables and chairs because you're suppposed to already have learned the basics. :-)

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Basic ergonomics can be found in MIL-STD-1472 and NASA-STD-3000.

Both free for a couple of searches.

I figure about 12 square feet of work surface space and a 15 inch high 16 inch by 48 inch instrument platform above in the back. Plenty of power distribution. And storage for leads hand tools etc. plenty of aisle space so park an instrument cart nearby and still get around.

Reply to
JosephKK