Re: Speaking to other planets on Ham Radio

I'd like to get into ham radio, so I can speak with creatures from other

> planets. How likely is this and what planets are most easily contacted?

Get a high gain directional antenna and start with Mars, then see how you go from there. Report back here from time to time with the entries from your call log.

Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom is not well-informed.

has been trying to contact - or at least detect - extraterrestrial intelligence since 1984.

There's a question about whether what we've been sending out would identify us as intelligent life - Cursitor Doom's contributions wouldn't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Study their language first, you can't communicate unless you speak their language.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

That has been thought about.

H. Beam Piper's "Omnilingual"

is a rather neat science fiction story from 1957. It's a bit before SETI, so it's posed as alien archeology.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There's no rush, it's likely there'll be no life on mars until 2035 or so.

Jasen Betts

Probably already several kinds of bacteria/viruses have been imported on Mars. Spacecrafts are sterilized a bit, but I think that is not 100 percent effective. Also debris from asteroid collisions travel between planets, pieces of Mars have been found at Antarctica, so the reverse should also be possible.

Two planets in the same solar system might not be totally isolated from each other, especially the smaller planets/satellites.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You really don't need a radio...but if you insist....AM tuned to ~1500 KC (for martians, 1330 for plutonians) + 1 dose of LSD should get ya there. (At least according to Timothy Leary) Good luck and happy travels.

Reply to
jjhudak4

** Complete vacuum and massive UV and cosmic radiation for years on end.

Nah - wouldn't hurt a fly....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison