PCI Express 4x 1x Voice/Fax/Data Modem ? (Skybuck's Dream PC 2006 weakness)

Hello,

Skybuck's Dream PC for 2006 has one weakness so far:

It doesn't have any support for the old phone system.

So that means I can't use old dial-up internet providers.

Nor can phone conversations be recorded which might come in handy or be cool.

It turns out my new internet provider is a NAZI.

A lawsuit will soon follow.

ISP's should not disconnect their users for bullshit reasons, that causes more harm than good.

Back to the subject at hand:

I would like to own/buy a pci express 4x 1x voice/fax/data modem. It's the only slot available in my pc.

I searched a little bit but such modems do not exist ?

I wish I could buy one... in case I need to use an old dial-up internet provider or record legacy telephone calls =D ;) it could also function as a fax machine...

It would be cool to have these features which seem now lost for ever... unless one could use skype and that kind of stuff... but I am not into the new stuff nor can I use it... because of NAZI internet provider ;)

I secretly hope that some day some manufacturer will produce exactly what I want ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck

Euh I ment answering machine =D

^^^ That's cool =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck
[ ranting snipped ]

That's an extraordinarily expensive way to do a modem, since PCI and even ISA or USB or external serial ports all support them quite well. Why not simply get an external serial fax/modem?

Reply to
Nico Kadel-Garcia

Hmm, I didn't know usb modem's existed. I was thinking about an external modem... question is if the com port would have seriously limited it. But a USB modem could be fast. Further all other PCI slots are taken and no ISA slots available.

External modems are usually much more expensive and it requires extra space on my desktop.

I'd rather have an internal modem which always goes with my computer ;) "embedded" =D

Why would a PCI Express 4x 1x be more expensive than a normal PCI modem ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck

limited market, naff drivers to write?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Oh, comports typically go at 115.2 Kbaud. The best modem in the world only does 56 Kbaud on a really good day, and they're certainly designed to interoperate well.

The chipsets to run PCI Express are designed for greater bandwidth, and haven't been around anywhere near as long. Given that PCI Express is typically used for high-speed video and network devices, there's just not much market to develop one for modems.

Reply to
Nico Kadel-Garcia

c/baud/bps/

..and are well buffered, so are unlikely to under/over run. Some ports can do even better.

...and modems are dead. The market is smaller than Skybuck's brain, but perhaps larger than his wallet.

--
  Keith
Reply to

What the f*ck? The serial port is much faster than the modem. The modem is SLOW. Anyhow, the best thing you can do is not dream about computers, but instead women. Computers are boring. Then again, you can use the computer to look at women, but you dont need a super fast one to do that.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Use a USB modem connected to a USB header on the motherboard then build it inside the PC case with only a small hole for the telephone line connector.

or some are very small indeed:

Philip

Reply to
Electric dabbler

Probably not... large parts of USA still without broadband ? ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck