Re: Scare of the day...

Not that I learned this from Miss Manners, but if you successfully deter criminals you (to put it mildly) do not play well by shooting them in their backs once you successfully deter them from committing felonies against yourself, against other persons in your household, or against your property.

If you shoot a burglar in the back close to a time when the burglar was running away with your 42 inch plasma TV, you could be on the hook for anywhere from failure to allow chance to heed a warning to failure to run the perp down without deadly force while the perp was handicapped by trying to run away with something fairly bulky and somewhat heavy.

This puts me more in a mood for hitting hard and early against burglars as quickly as allowable, and for assassinating them with whatever appears effective among basic Tae Kwan Do karate moves, partially broken fluorescent lamps, ordinary kitchen knives, largish iron core transformers, large screwdrivers, hammers of whatever size I most quickly find handy if I don't grab a scary knife or screwdriver first...

Don Klipstein

I would love to know how to be vicious and polite.

Jim's just in a bad mood. He won the ruling for Christ's sake.

Most of your messages in the thread are missing. You don't use google groups sometimes do you?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Read her book. It's good stuff, theory and practice.

Supernews.

John

It was obvious back when it was written. Bears where much more common then so everyone could have a could of forelimbs to beat the enemy over the head with should the need arise.

Reply to
MooseFET

Because within the US places with low crime rates don't have gun laws. If you are the only person in a 100 mile radius, you are unlikely to get mugged.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

Reply to
MooseFET

I would suggest finding what the armed robbery rates and murder-during-robbery rates are in Washington DC, and for comparison in Houston and Dallas (TX), Phoenix (AZ) and Pittsburgh (PA). Heck, even Philadelphia PA (very pro-gun-control though so far barred in state courts from having municipal gun control laws) has gun crime on the bad side even for big cities, but I think not as bad as Washington DC.

Municipal gun control laws are counterproductive!

Don Klipstein

"

in

So places that have high crime rates tend to get gun control laws. The crime rates happened first the gun laws second. In this universe the cause is usually first.

Reply to
MooseFET

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:01:16 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: [snip]

Jim, I remember how the violent crime rate against women went down in AZ after the concealed weapon law was passed. I knew 3 night shift nurses that carried .38s in their purses. Made the bad guy think twice, was the lady packing or not - was it worth his life. One nurse said "No I would not kill him, just blow his nuts off - then drag him back inside". She was a nurse you now...

No - just put them in a chair with a gun and cell phone next to it and have a bad guy come at them with a knife. See if they call

911 and wait for the cops to show up.
--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, TX

And how did Wash. DC's crime rate go, even in comparison to other older big cities, right after they made it illegal for their law-abiding citizens to have guns?

Don Klipstein

No idea. What's the answer?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Looks to me that DC crime of all kinds was very great in/around the early 1970's, then took a dip for a 3 year period - the first year of which was 1976 (when they began their gun ban).

Keep in mind that DC residents who already had guns that they were previously legally owning were allowed to keep them - but were not allowed to sell them to other DC residents.

After 1978, crime in DC gradually crept back up, with a huge increase in the murder rate. More recently, crime there did ease over the past decade - with their murder rate decreasing from "notable national extreme" to levels that would still be called "high". From 1988 to 2003, DC's murder rate was above its 1974 pre-gun-ban high point - at times at least double.

The data that I link above appears to say the gun ban did not have much effect either way on crime except allowed the murder rate to go up much later.

Don Klipstein

Ah fudge. I was hoping that you were intentionally punning.

Reply to
JosephKK

There was Kennesaw, in Georgia. And it was all homeowners except conscious objectors, ex felons, etc.,. With that start search engines will reveal much.

Reply to
JosephKK

*-ownership-of-firearms&strip=1

I do not see how you get there (those cases not counting). Explain please.

Reply to
JosephKK

JosephKK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How about Vermont? NO permit needed to carry a gun on your person outside your home,concealed or open carry. No "blood in the streets" shootouts like the anti-gun folks always predict.

Not any problem at all.

Vermont and more recently Alaska are the only US states to get it right,WRT bearing arms.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"

in

So places with high crime rates get gun laws. In this universe, cause comes before the effect. Look at the places in the US that get gun laws. They are always the high crime areas.

Reply to
MooseFET

te:

,

nged"

eme

ur

t of

he

in

rred in

the

.

lder

in

No you can't say that. Based on the same numbers, you can say that the murder rate may be much higher without the gun laws. The increase you see can be just an increase in the level of lawlessness forcing the rate back up.

Reply to
MooseFET

ged"

me

of

r barred in

he

cause

un

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD= =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD ...Jim Thompson

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD | =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BDmens =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD | = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD et =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=BF=BDmanus =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD| =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

s Rat =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD |

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

an Obama-nation =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD = =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF= =BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD|

=EF=BF=BD|- Hide quoted text -

Jim,

I thought it was previously established that the crime rates track Roe v. Wade. In other words, the drop in crime in the late 90's is a result of all the would-be criminals being aborted. (those in lower social-economic groups).

Reply to
mpm

quoted text -

Sno-o-o-ort ;-)

Actually there is some scientific basis that destroying all XYY male fetuses would dramatically reduce crime.

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

*-ownership-of-firearms&strip=1

Well, Jim wrote that there are towns that force people to own firearms. This case does not count because it says above "no enforcement" and "exceptions for those who are opposed". IOW if you don't like the law you are most welcome to say so and then you'll be excused. Hardly a law, is it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.