Re: Overview Of New Intel Core i7(Nehalem) Processor

There's no need. Put code in code pages, data in data pages. Intel processors have had the ability to manage virtual memory mapping for code vs. data since the 286. The 386 made it easier by using demand paged virtual memory instead of the 286's silly segmented menory. Make the code pages readonly and mapped separately and it is impossible for buffer overflows to overwrite code.

Microsoft has never understood the difference between code and data. All their documents have to have the ability to execute arbitrary code so that you can get the stupid dancing bunnies and those lovely email worms.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Greed? They're just catering to an infinite, subsidized demand, so price doesn't matter.

If the government gave out $50 coupons for oranges, oranges would cost $50.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

How novel--checking how big your buffer is /before/ filling it.

Genius.

Prediction: by 2029 they'll start checking whether they own the memory they're targeting, /first/.

I think we've got some future car czar candidates here.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

I read a few Windows-dressings back that each new version had to include all the old code back to 8088s, for compatibility. The old code was a nightmare no one understood, written by programmers long gone, in a Babel of languages, linked, undocumented, with some critical modules only surviving in .HEX format, the source code lost long before.

Some day they oughtta shutter those Windows, eh?

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Win 9x included "thunks". A thunk allowed 32-bit code to call legacy

16-bit routines and DLLs that nobody wanted to (or knew how to) rewrite. The parameters were remapped, the machine switched into 16-bit mode, the legacy mess was executed, and the process reversed.

John

I've always wondered...

Terminal velocity of a human is ~100mph. A lot less if you spread-eagle.

Terminal velocity of an airplane is several hundred mph, plus there's all that metal and flaming gasoline in your future.

If you're going to crash over water it seems like you're better off jumping. (Of course you'll feel pretty silly if the pilot recovers & flies off without you :)

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Yep, that's the stuff. Yeeck.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Thunking was actually pretty useful in OS/2, because there were things that were allowed in 16-bit code that weren't in 32-bit code. Specifically, as a performance hack for 286 machines, user code was allowed to do port I/O (in Intel-speak, the I/O privilege level was 2 instead of 0).

I built a bunch of parallel-port attached gizmos back in the 90s that used a 16-bit IOPL DLL (specially coded for the purpose by yours truly) to avoid having to write a device driver for the parallel port. It was about 20 times faster than the ring-3 approach to port I/O.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Nor have they honored filename extensions. When in doubt, execute it.

John

Just imagine the stewardesses opening the doors and throwing the passengers out of the plane as the emergency procedure :-) Besides, the velocity of the plane would be smaller with the less of weight.

BTW, I've read several true WWII stories of survival of the pilots without a parachute. The most incredible occurrence was when the plane went down before the pilot, so it exploded right under him. The shock wave mitigated the fall.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

When I was playing soldiers in the mid 70s I heard about Soviet experiments involving dropping troops from a plane without a parachute. They jumped out in a sack of hay when the aircraft was flying as low and as slow as possible. IIRC the casualty rate was 50% ie 50% of the troops were capable of fighting afterwards.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well, I'm certainly not wrong that Amendment II is equal to article 2 of the Bill of Rights, or that it guarantees the right to keep and bear arms.

You can have your hoplophobia clinically treated, you know.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Greedy bastards can't rip you off without the collusion of a corrupt government.

The Free Market is the proper way to bring prices down.

CHeers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

You forgot about the stack. As long as data gets shoved to the return stack you've left the barn door open.

...and stack.

Yep. Why isolate executable code if you'll treat a .doc as an executable.

Reply to
krw

Sorry. I forgot to add... the FDA.

"Spock's computer on Vulcan" inflection... "Correct"

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

things a

addressing, the

compiler design.

page"

last

straight

the

the

1M

access

was

And is it directly supported by the program counter, or software support needed?

Reply to
JosephKK

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:55:21 GMT) it happened Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote in :

You do not seriously think I am going to look up:

1) Amendment II 2) article 2 3) Bill of Rights 4) hoplophobia 5) follow some link? Suggestion to you: If you have nothing to say, then do not say it.

Guns are probably safe with you, you do not know how to use one anyways. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

(or,

but

the

diminishing.

randomisation.

technical=20

doors=20

Yes, Please. For that matter go forth and create them, the world awaits your encapsulated wisdom.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have created them, at least the coding standards that allow quality programming in most any language. But I'm not interested in creating an appropriate language or starting a programming school. Frankly, anybody who follows prudent coding standards could and would want to invent an appropriate language. It's wouldn't be all that hard. ADA would do fine just the way it is. Good programming can be done in C, but C has too many hazards to be set loose on the general lot of programmers.

I know people who program critical systems in ADA and they do everything right.

John

things a

essing, the

iler design.

ge"

st

ight

the

1M

as

Since the 8088 doesn't support its full memory space with the program counter, that question isn't really fair. The 8051 has a 16 bit program counter as dos the 8088. If you use the segment register in the 8088 you can get up to 1 meg. In the 8051 if you play tricks, you can get over a meg.

Reply to
MooseFET