Re: Overview Of New Intel Core i7(Nehalem) Processor

but

diminishing.

doors=20

Actually, much of that is an attempt to save the decent drivers from the bad drivers.

Reply to
JosephKK

Who cares about the drivers. That solves the problems of the car makers and insurance companies. And sure, using the seat cushions for flotation helped a lot to the passengers of the French airliner that recently plunged into the Atlantic.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Then let's have secure languages and prudent coding standards to save decent users from bad programmers.

John

Why the hell does anybody care about seat belts anyway? No seat belt harm only a driver, so it is his choice.

Absolutely.

And we need a government agency to create these languages.. And we need another agency to certify compliance. And we need another agency to license software developers. And we need another agency to... And we need a law enforcement to punish those using unsafe languages. And we need a law enforcement to punish those using safe languages without license. And...

--
Andrew
Reply to

Do you use your seat belt?

No, we need buyers of software to insist on quality.

John

Until your health insurance gets more expensive...

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Europe is proposing laws that enforce waranty on software.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

A well-armed populace is cheaper and safer, not only for the individual and her/his family themselves, but for society in general.

"Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Decent drivers are smarter than that - they don't crash. It's quite simple, really - look in front of the car, and if there's something there, don't go there.

[what about side impacts???? =:-O ] Don't stop the car in front of a cross-street.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Just don't crash the car.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

ings a

ing, the

r design.

P0 is 8 bits of multiplexed address and data. P2 is 8 bits of Address P1 is 8 more bits of address if you want. P3 has a few more bits that can be used as address if you want.

Reply to
MooseFET

It also improves gene pool...

Yes. Why does anybody else care?

Exactly. The same logic shall be used everywhere else, including seat belts.

--
Andrew
Reply to

"Nico Coesel"

It is a health insurance structure problem. It has nothing to do with seat belts or airbags.

--
Andrew
Reply to

the

design.

8086

intended

register,

SP,

You could have read what i wrote.

ability

mod r/m is not a byte, nor is it available for all instructions.

what was written did not seem to reflect that.

although

space,

yet

it

be

And that gets into the non-general purpose AX, BX, CX, and DX registers and which one of SI and DI did you abuse for a stack? Not to mention the many compiler implementations that use AX for the return value.

otherwise

-fomit-frame-pointer.

Reply to
JosephKK

Even the best driver can have an animal jump out in front of them, or a blow-out, or the driver of the oncoming vehicle losing control, or ...

Some accidents really are unavoidable. Not very many, but not zero either.

Also, crash barriers are meant to protect other traffic from a vehicle which has lost control. They may well increase the risk to the vehicle which hits them.

Reply to
Nobody

It is really a doctor/medical industry greed thing. We could all afford it (a robust insurance), if they were not ALL (the doctors, the lawyers, the pharmacists, the drug makers, the device makers, yada, yada, yada...) such greedy bastards.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

With all the CPU cycles M$ wastes I never understood why buffer overflows were even possible. Simple boundary-checking would prevent the whole thing.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:25:09 GMT) it happened Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote in :

Well it is a bit of a change of subject, but, quotations of genocide apart as I have seen by similar thinkers as you, the number of deaths by gun, either accidently or deliberately, sort of proves you wrong. In my country firearms are forbidden, and apart from the occasional criminal shooting somebody, and the police shooting some of them, there are few deaths connected to that.

Without a law enforcement burglars would just break into house after house, even if you were armed, they would be too.

Anyways [] with almost half the US population behind bars now... who am I to say who is free and who is not..

GWBush is one one side, he killed > a million, so from that POV he MUST be on the locked up side...

I did see a nice movie, about something in south America, the usual CIA crap, but it started with a women behind bars with some guys in military uniform asking her questions.. in the end, after the story had its tale.. the camera position changed, so it turned out those guys were the one behind the bars, and she was free..

The lion and the sheep... WTFDIC (What the .. do I care) anyways, I was talking about the need to lock up spammers and virus writers, worm makers and the like, Because these days internet and computers have become an essential part of life, and the disturbances created by some disturbeds can cause havoc. You _cannot_ do that, you cannot even locate them, let alone fight them. So you need some agency that has the resources. It is different from guns.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Horray! We only waited 20 years for this...

Except that their lazy, bleary-eyed, underpaid-with-no-benefits microserfs will get some structure off the web, look in its header to determine its size, and use that as the memcpy_s() parameter. That's what they call "efficient programming" in Microland.

You heard it here first.

John