Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Tuesday March 9, 2010 Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

By now, you've probably seen many of the homemade videos from people who ordered an Intel Core i7-920 processor from Newegg.com and received a bogus processor and hunk of plastic shaped like a fan. Newegg has thrown supplier IPEX Infotech of Freemont [corrected] California under the bus for this fiasco; in a statement released to Information Week, the retailer said, "We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit and are terminating our relationship with this supplier."

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

That's a good one.

Someone somewhere must be laughing their heads off on that scam, and driving a slighly more upmarket car.

Be interesting to see if they catch the culprits.

Pretty unlikely.

I suppose there's a vacancy at Newegg for a store receivals officer now.

Reply to
me here

Called incoming inspection here in the colonies (:

And the they were probably the first employees fired when the economy tanked.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Incoming inspection is just an expense, after all. Heavens, it's almost as bad as engineering!

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I spent 2 weeks in Japan once caused by the customer having incoming inspection where my employer did not. Out of the 60 PCs we shipped, they rejected 50, everything from memory parity errors (remember those?), bad hard disks to a keyboard that had two full stops and no comma. How many heads rolled from that fiasco? Exactly none. Did we start doing incoming inspection? No, we just sold to less choosy customers.

Reply to
keithr

No... incoming inspection is old fashioned because you know we've this ISO 9k certificates on file and we only buy from other certified folks...

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cesar Rabak

Sadly a very real misconception.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Incoming inspection might not do the job. I met someone who bought a cheap 8 GB (or whatever) iPod in China, and when back home, he started loading it up.

Memory was full after 128 MB...

BR Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Er, isn't that the point of incoming inspection! (acceptance testing) "Inspection" doesn't mean a quick visual for obvious physical damage you realise?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T