Re: OT: More "reading comprehension" problems

After it's power-cycled. More than once have been on a road trip where my phone's BT connection to the car (for music or nav) has dropped from the car-side, an and the only fix is "get off at the nearest rest-stop".

Granted, my car's a decade old (or a bit older); so maybe a newer car would behave better.

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Don't count on it. Newer cars have more software and therefor more bugs.

My car is only two years old and has a certain number of "issues" that come and go from one drive to the next. None yet serious enough to strand me, fortunately, but surely annoying!

I'd grown to expect better quality from Audi.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Oh, definitely! I meant it more as just an admission of understanding that it's "old hardware" in the car.

As far as I can tell; the car I have is the first model year to have done away with the "and it comes with this special mp3 player-of-the-era connector!".

Reply to
Dan Purgert

Many of these devices are single cpu, single core, and do not run any kind of multitasking operating system. The run a single program permanently.

To read the input while printing output the programmer has to output a letter, then listen, in a loop. It can be done, but it is more code.

I doubt there is a hardware switch. It is far easier and cheaper a software switch. Mine responds faster than 30", and it is just a humble Opel. Display and firmware made by LG. It draws lines superimposed on the camera display that move as I move the steering wheel, so there is CPU time involved.

It was considered acceptable. You have to let the engine warm up before attempting to move the car, anyway :-p

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

My car can pair again to the current phone or to another easily, and it works.

But it fails randomly when Android Car Auto or whatever the current name is is involved, with a Motorola wifi dongle. That's a piece of shit combo.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I'm being a little tongue in cheek here, since he's comparing an always-on device (this BT adapter thing) to his car (which is not "always-on"), and complaining he has to power-cycle the always-on one from time to time.

What none of us know is "what's this time-to-time rate?" and more importantly, "how many times does something go wrong, and the device SUCCESSFULLY reconnects silently?"

Just like how my router never needs a reboot? Or the modem? Or the cable box? Or the PC? Or my cellphone?

If Don's thing takes 5 minutes to reboot (like my router); then with the following assumptions: 1. that we detect it needs the reboot as soon as it goes into its failure state AND 2. I'm doing the math right ;)

that's a total of 20 minutes downtime per year, or 99.996% uptime.

99.0% uptime is 87.66 minutes, so even monthly reboots is >99% uptime.
Reply to
Dan Purgert

I have this:

car---BT --> phone \ \--USB--BT+Wifi Dongle --> Phone with Android Auto.

The two BT systems collide after the upgrade to Android 13, but both are needed (Android Car Auto uses the car BT for authorization, then it attempts the USB+BT+WiFi connection). Currently when the connection fails, I have to unplug the BT+Wifi Dongle (an M1 from Motorola), then fiddle with the BT tap on the phone (also a Motorola) in order to make sure the phone connects to the car BT, and then plug in the dongle and wait for its connection as well.

Weeks ago I had to stop, exit and lock the car, and reboot the phone, in order to the the thing to connect again and work. Something like 7 minutes.

It has been like a month of pain in the ass. Now it is working better, but I never know when starting the car if it is going to work or not.

While I'm driving I see the car BT disconnect and reconnect randomly from the phone.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

In my car, that's a different processor than the "infotainment" display :-)

Responds instantly.

Same as a TV set with different inputs. It can even have a different processor.

Mine starts up instantly in that situation. It takes maybe minutes before it actually powers off. I know because of the times I wanted to "reboot" it because of problems, I had to wait or it would open on the same menu.

I assume that the engineers designing it knew there was a time to boot.

I think the designer did think of it, but the beans counter decided to simplify number of knobs.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

No, that processor (in my car) uses a different display and different buttons.

Yes, but can be handled by different processors, switching the display to one or the other, similarly as does a TV with different inputs.

Of course.

1>>> will want to listen to whatever music source Driver #1 had selected when

Of course.

The limitation can be a power limit. Some cooktops instead configure a total watts limit.

My induction cooktop has only two burners, and one of them broke down recently. Repairing it would be 250€; there are ranges cheaper than that.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Direct software conflict. The same hardware worked fine for a year with Android 12.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.