Re: OT: Highly undesirable postings

>Nuke Googlegroups.

Rich Webb wrote:

I have, except for a couple of known posters that I white-list. >

Yup. The only logical solution. Should anyone go on a trip or lose a provider and have to use Google (Speff and Win spring to mind), *they* could end up in the plonk a while.

Agent won't filter on Message-ID >
8-( A major (and seemingly obvious) deficiency.

but by using Hamster as an intermediary,

>all of the google-originated junk gets thrown away >before it even gets my Agent client. >

To adjust the sieve fine enough, a proxy filter does look to be the trick.

I've seen, somewhere (el Reg?), that the captcha >used to block bots from signing up for google accounts >has been broken with a high enough success rate >

The *Need Help* button allows them enough time to run the analysis.

that it's now 'worthwhile' for the spammers to grab throw-away accounts. >

For Chinese/Indian/Pakistani/Indonesian spammers it has ALWAYS been worthwhile; it has simply become *easier*.

I wish an imminent but slow and painful death to anyone who buys from them and a pox on anyone who clicks their links.

...and I note again that Google Groups seems to be the dumping ground for Google's least-able employees. Gmail's great success filtering spam shows that it is duck soup

--if you put capable people to work on it.

Reply to
JeffM