Re: Oh my Gawd! Carly!

Only from your twisted point of view.

There has been a minimum wage in the US since before i was born.

It was actually worse, consist ant significant negative monthly cash flow for about 10 years.

Only by kiting several credit cards to peak at a total debit over a years gross income before graduating. And wanting every additional scrap of income i could find, given my schedule constraints.

And much of that time living in a "slum" neighborhood.

As it was there were years that i could not even do that reliably, with a steady well paid job.

Not even going to prison would have stopped me.

Learned on the bitter rocks of experience.

Just because you refuse to see it, does not men that it is not there.

Reply to
JosephKK

Where have you been over the last 4 decades of various debates over seat belts?

The minimum wage has already been raised that far. It is time to try something else.

No it cannot. The paperweight has demonstrated value of economic function. The precious metal value is just an addon. Eyes that connect to a mind that refuses to do useful work are just living junk that it is problematic to dispose of.

It demonstrates itself by NOT achieving its stated aims.

The US before the great depression.

Then why does your observations not affect your cognition?

Still doing the same thing when it does not produce the target results?

Which ones are you talking about? The major bulk does not. Hell just check the high school dropout rates (even more to the point, by socioeconomic strata) for the last 4 decades. Try solving that part of the puzzle instead.

Reply to
JosephKK

enforced--means

for

I've been right here. Do you not agree to the statement of purpose. I know that some people claim that they are an alien tracking device or a birth control method but most agree that the purpose of a seat belt is to save lives.

[....]

False.

There is no reason to.

[....]

You seem to not grasp the argument.

Now suddenly we have people "refusing to do useful work". This is a change from the subject which was the case of minimum wage and its effect on the overall economy.

Do we all live in poverty? No. The state aim was to prevent us all from living in poverty therefor your claim that it has failed to achieve its stated aims is false.

The US before the great depression was not better than the US today. The US also had a great depression. That, I assume you agree was not a good thing.

It does. I have looked at what is really out there and it has given me hope. You seem to have looked at some very poor selection for what there is to see or you see only that which depresses you.

We don't all live in povert do we?

You are suggesting that we abandon an idea that has worked very well, while we try to solve a different problem. This is like removing the brakes from a car because you are trying to design seat belts. Why not fix the problem with the education system without messing with other stuff.

Reply to
MooseFET

Yes so you had the advantage of it being there. You don't want to see the advantage, I guess, because you are the sort who like to claim to be born in a log cabin built by your own two hands. You were born into a situation that gave you advantages. Without these you would not have gotten the education.

Negative cash flow means you started out with cash. This is not worse than living hand to mouth. Living hand to mouth means you have absolutely no reserves. You had reserves because you where born into a situation that gave you advantages. You started off above the minimum wage case.

You had assets even if it was a line of credit.

But not litterally hand to mouth.

But you didn't have to work all of the hours just to feed your self you had advantages and options. You where taking advantage of what the economy was providing.

Now you are just being silly. You are simply unwilling to admit that you started out with advantages created by others.

If it was true for all these years we would be in caves today. We aren't. You have a sour view of others. I feel sorry for you that you haven't seen the good in people.

Reply to
MooseFET

What advantages are you talking about?

The hell i wouldn't.

Not cash, could borrow about enough to pay bills, rent, and buy food for many years. Just an income.

Like hell. My first job was minimum wage. Then my Navy years were below that.

Yes literally that.

Not so much what the economy was providing, but what i am willing to do. Yes, i was willing to work hard. I was willing to work hard to develop economically valuable skills, and did so.

No, i am quite damn literal!! And exactly what damned advantages create by others do you think you are poxy talking about?

I have seen lots of good in lots of people, including current teens. I also have had to witness Enron and Bush the lesser and the sub-prime mortgage meltdown. Were you around for any of these events? Did you learn anything from them?

Reply to
JosephKK

enforced--means

for

You obliviously have not. Educate yourself, if you can.

It is difficult to educate a fool, just thought i would try again. I have had successes.

What alternate idea?

The minimum wage creates "welfare queens/kings". They play the system instead of doing anything to contribute to society. Search for the welfare recipient that got away in their Porsche 911.

Then why do more live in poverty in the US today that 20, 30, 40, and

50 years ago. Ok so maybe i am exaggerating a little bit. See:

It is a good thing only in retrospect. It should have taught us that deregulation of financial markets is a bad thing. The republicans did not learn.

I am not totally negative on the future, i am doing my part in making what i wish it to be, puny individual blow by puny blow. Friends of mine are making their blows. We are trying. We won't quit. Why have your? Oh, maybe i get it, are you in love with mediocrity?

Then why is there still poverty!!! All the crap your kind has tried has done no good at all.

See the definition of insanity.

What idea was this? Minimum wage has not worked.

Non-sequitur. Flawed analogy as well.

That is what i have been trying to get you to address. It is the weak link (in the sense of being most addressable) in the cycle of poverty.

So stop.

Reply to
JosephKK

Did you build that log cabin with your own two hands. Did you have to build the school before you could go to it? Did you have a road to travel on? Did you live in a a place with a functioning economy? Where there laws that protected you?

Like many people you think you did it all your self and are unwilling to see the advantages the situation you were born into gave you.

[....]

Actually no you admitted elsewhere that you didn't have to work all the hours you were able just to feed yourself.

I didn't mean that the economy "provided" without you working. I meant that it gave you the chance. Without the healthy economy, you wouldn't have been able to get the job.

Reply to
MooseFET

The big difference is not specific job skills, but the meta skills - ways of thinking, approaching problems, etc. Electronic information processing could go out the window tomorrow, and the engineers would quickly adapt to whatever follows, but all of the support people who have highly specialized skills in the current technology will suffer. Not even necessarily because they are inflexible themselves, but just as likely because their resume skills are perceived as application specific, wheras we are traditionally (though perhaps not so much these last few buzzword years), viewed and hired as being adaptable problem solvers.

Reply to
cs_posting

No me da did, who built yours or the other kids?

No me da did, who built yours or the other kids?

No me da did, who built yours or the other kids?

No me gre'granda did, who built yours or the other kids?

Not anything that any American, Canadian, or Western European has not had for the willingness to have it for the last 60 years.

I do not have to currently, i HAD to back then. There is a difference.

WTF? Suddenly you admit that at least some of it may have been my effort? Now let's get to the root, way too many of today's kids will not put any effort into getting an education.

Reply to
JosephKK