Re: Highly undesirable postings

>If Google Groups would **properly** process

>>the reports they ALREADY get >>(and block the **IP address** of the offenders >>--or perhaps that entire range) this would slow to a trickle. >>

Didi wrote:

This would not work today. Most IP addresses people use >are dynamic, and banning an entire range (say, 65536 addresses) >because of one spammer is not something any of us >would seriously advocate >(hmm... I wish I could be more positive on that :-). >

I see this as a matter of *responsible behavior* on the part of providers. Letting the jerks off the hook (both the individuals and the providers) just rubs me the wrong way.

[...]Google groups[...]include the originating IP address, >if someone wants to complain about it >the right addressee of the complaint would be the ISP >[providing] this IP, not Google). >

Right...and to put pressure back onto rogue/lazy ISPs (where it belongs), Google could redirect requests from those known offender domains to a page that explains the situation to those subscribers:

"You have been sent to this page because your provider, ________.com, has a cavalier attitude about outbound spam. We suggest that you contact them at hostmaster@ ______.com and register your displeasure regarding their sloth/cluelessness.

Reply to
JeffM