Re: Hey do you know your car's alternator only outputs 7-10% while it's running?

But virtually NEVER over 2:1 Alternator drives are routinely 3:1 or better.

And many engines back in the generator years redlined at about 3600.

Ever convert a generator to a REALLY GOOD gocart motor? Put GM starter feild coils into a generator - and hook them up in series with the alternator.

Reply to
clare

You're an idiot. The engines of the 50s and 60s redlined above 5000 rpm.

3600 rpm was the model T years, you ditz.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Wrong. Model T was 1800 max.

In the USA "high speed" engines of the pre-WW2 era were 3600 RPM

The flathead ford v8 was the exception at 3200 RPM

After WW2 most engines stayed at 3600 rating, but the "redline" went to 4000 RPM

RPM and compression generally increased in the 20th century as balance and metal technology advanced. Europe generally pushed the RPM higher before the USA

Reply to
bw

It may reverse back to lower revving engines. The Chevy Volt runs by electric motor propulsion. It was designed to have a constant speed engine design run at the most efficient speed, turning a genny which provides power to the electric motor. As the motor demands more power, it puts an increased magnetic field on the genny. This drags the engine's speed down, but the engine injects more fuel to maintain the constant speed and keep the genny turning.

I believe GM may make the engine variable speed, and lower efficiency, as the customers may be disconcerted at experiencing a constant speed revving engine. Sounds garbage to me. Who cares about the speed of the engine?

Reply to
News

And that's why, you illiterate chump, I said what I did. I did *not*

*ever* say they actually were driven by a variable ratio drive.

What I said was the ratio was kept low so as to *not* require such a drive. Too high a ratio and the generator would self-destruct.

A typical loser tactic, claim that I said something ridiculous and then argue that I'm clearly wrong. But the text is there for you to read (and re-read and re-read until you have some comprehension).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

The driver. It could be disconcerting, especially to Aunt Tillie, when the sound of the motor doesn't change through acceleration, braking, etc.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The only way to get rid of trolls like that is to filter them.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

WWII was a long way back from the 50s and 60s, which were the decades I mentioned, and in THOSE decades, the redline was higher, as was the "normal" operating window. Far higher than the 3600 that some retarded dope stated.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

No. I NEVER made any such claim. What I stated was that they switched because of LOW engine speed efficiency, you retarded f*ck, not overall efficiency, and I only "claimed" it once. AND it was NOT a claim, it was an iteration of fact of what the industry did and why they did it, you retard.

IF you could actually READ, and you could actually REMEMBER what you read, you MIGHT be able to put up an argument.

So "You claimed once that... yada yada yada..."

Is not "You keep claiming..."

So, you keep mouthing off like a little retarded f*ck, and that is all you will have coming.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You're an idiot.

Reply to
George Orr

Since when has a woman ever taken any notice of noises coming from the engine?

Reply to
News

Aunt tillie doesn't need to be driving a new techno car or any car if she has issues rationalizing what the causes of sounds are.

Reply to
George Orr

Good point, but the obvious answer is:

"Whenever the noise has no bearing on the operation of anything..."

I know my script.

Reply to
Son of a Sea Cook

1962 buick v6- max hp rated at 4600 rpm 1949 buick straight 8 - max hp rated at 3600 rpm 1958 buick 364 v8 - max hp rated at 4400 rpm 1957 caddy365 v8 max hp rated at 4400 rpm 1953 chevy max hp at 3600 rpm 1958 6 cyl chevy max hp rated at 4200 rpm 1958 chevy v8 - max hp rated at 4600 rpm 1949 chrysler max hp rated at 3600 rpm for the 6, 3200 for the 8.1954 chrysler hemi - 331 cu in - max hp at 4400 rpm 1953 forf flathead 0 max hp rated at 3800 rpm. 1955 ford "Y" block max hp rated at 4400 rpm 1953 hudson max hp at 4000 rpm 1957 rambler 6, max hp at 4200 rpm 1955 olds rocket v8 - max hp at 4000 rpm 1954 pontiac six, max hp at 3800 1954 pontiac 8, max ph at 3800 rpm

worked on these babies - I know how fast they ran. NOT MANY engines of the 50s would even rev to 5000 without losing parts. Many stock engines of the 60s and 70s could not rev over 5000 rpm Most redlined WELL UNDER 5000.

Even the mighty Chevy 396, in stock form in 1966 was not happy much over 4200 rpm. With aftermarket parts, or the L34 factory hotrod version, they would hang together for a while at 5000 RPM.

A slant six 225 Dodge would not hit 5000 RPM stock - the little 170 could wind to 5500 with its 1 inch shorter stroke.

Reply to
clare

Creating yet another alias for yourself so you can get around peoples killfile. That's a sure sign of maniac

Reply to
daestrom

Are you sure, pussy boy?

Reply to
Kai

or=20

you've=20

Heehee........every body said Archimedes' Lever is a troll.

The evidence is clear, he spent his time spreading his diarrhea around = to burn off his excessive fat.

Reply to
Richardson

Did I ever claim to be such? You are daft!

Yet you pay.

Folks like you that spew words like that are the ones that should succumb to something... like a brain clot that disables you completely and leaves you speechless so that you cannot tell anyone that you are in extreme pain. Your family should be cursed with the pain of having to feed and dress you, etc.

You're crawlin' and you shant get up... boy. (in so many ways)

Reply to
OutsideObserver

It's a simple matter.

%BOS [alt.energy.homepower] Score: =-9999 NNTP-Posting-Host: 72.197.140.80 %EOS

--
??
Unlimited webspace - Unlimited bandwidth