Re: Getting electrocuted in bathtub

Diesel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t77x7AkL7.FbFosET2wF3v4w9z7iKzgi4G03HI9mL2a hBdF99av:

The moral? You'r an idiot. The FACT is that you are full of shit.

Arc initiation and arc continuation are two diferent things. Once a carbon path has been established arcing can crawl to and from other than the initial gap breach nodes.

You really should refrain from further 'pontification' because you do not know what you are talking about.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

When we made hospital-quality defibrillators, they put 400 Ws as a 3 kV pulse into 50 ohms load.

And yes, it leaves nasty 4 inch diameter burns, despite of the contact lube used.

--

-TV
Reply to

Jeroen Belleman wrote in news:qq4mk8$4rh$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

PETA is gonna come after you for harming animals!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Tauno Voipio wrote in news:qq6pep $se5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

orders

Are you sure you know what 30 PA is?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I am. Just wanted to bring some real numbers into the discussion.

--

-TV
Reply to

Plastic bags normally have microscopic holes in making them unsuitable as cap dielectrics or insulators. Caps require a better grade of film.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

connection will have high current for the moment of the event.

Not necessarily. You can have whats known as a 'cold' arc, too. It has very little current behind it, it's so weak infact it can't even ignite fuel vapor. A battery powered bug zapper circuit, aka, a juul thief can generate a tiny arc; it's not enough to bring you any serious harm and won't even light a piece of paper if you tried.

No, it isn't. How much experience do you actually have with HV?

--
The New York Times, among other papers, recently published a new
Hubble photograph of distant galaxies colliding.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Right. Nothing line voltage level is gonna breach. This is not manufacturing grade. This is basic fact, and there are not any microscopic holes in PVC pipes that are going to allow a breach either. We are not making caps here. We are modeling tub safety and or lack thereof and or lack for the need thereof.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Diesel wrote in news:XnsAB02A8E77DE50HT1 @t77x7AkL7.Fb1FosET2wF3v4w9z7iKzgi4G03HI9mL2ahBdF99av:

Yes, it very much so is, wire boy.

I have HV supplies at LANL and that went up on space shuttle missions. So, very likely more than you have, since you likely do not even know what LANL is, much less anything about space bound electronic packages. I know more about arcing than you do... obviously.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Diesel wrote in news:XnsAB02A8E7F9A1EHT1 @t77x7AkL7.Fb1FosET2wF3v4w9z7iKzgi4G03HI9mL2ahBdF99av:

As if you could ever be a judge of what is or is not credible.

Normal air at sea level. 3kV / mm

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Diesel wrote in news:XnsAB02A8E7F9A1EHT1 @t77x7AkL7.Fb1FosET2wF3v4w9z7iKzgi4G03HI9mL2ahBdF99av:

One diode and one cap does not make a voltage doubler. The diode is a rectifier so that the magnetron gets a DC feed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The ones I looked only had one diode and capacitor. Seems to me to be a

1/2 wave rectifier. Hardly a voltage doubler.

Under a light load you may get 1.41 times the voltage of the secondary of the transformer.

If it was a voltage doubler circuit which would require atleast 2 diodes and capacitors you would get about 2.5 times the transformer voltage under a light load.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

the magnetron _is_ a rectifier. the diode and cap are to double the voltage and limit the current. magnetron (thermionic diode) ..... __________:_ : ||(__________:_3 |-:--- gnd || | : : ___ || _--||-+ ''''' _)||(_ | ___)||(_ V ||(_ T semiconductor rectifier diode ||(__ | ||_| ----' | gnd

Jasen Betts

It's caused many line rated caps to fail in service.

We were talking about plastic film, pipe is as you say another animal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

bzzzzzzt

Reply to
tabbypurr

As the diode conducts (tf top output +ve), the cap charges +ve left, -ve right. As tf output goes -ve, the feed to the maggy is tf -ve voltage + cap -ve in series, so yep it's a v doubler. Like any v doubler you won't get as much as 2x out, but a lot more certainly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Had those burns several times and the contacts were carefully placed beforehand (not paddles haphazardly placed) front and back. I could tell by the burn pattern how much energy was used (100J = outline of contacts, 300J = full burn pattern). Was awake for one. ...remember yelling something about the doctor's ancestry.

30mA, my ass, but what can you expect from AlwaysWrong.
Reply to
krw

I realize you thought you were looking at a half wave rectifier circuit, but you aren't. Look closer at the components wiring configuration sometime, you'll notice something different. :)

The diode is going across hot and neutral, the capacitor is coming off one side; exact opposite of what you'd have for a half wave ac to dc rectifier. What you have in this configuration, is an ac to dc half wave voltage doubler circuit.

You can also refresh your memory with a simple google search. Any say, slightly above beginner in electronics should know this stuff... ho hum.

--
Lobotomize Hillary - Now there's a health plan.
Reply to

Look closer at the way in which you found those two components wired up. That makes all the difference. The capacitor is in series from one side of the transformer only. The diode is not in series, it's paralleled to hot and neutral. This is not an ac to dc half wave rectifier as you thought; it's a ac to dc half wave voltage doubler.

Er, nope. You'll get a bit more than that, not including losses in components.

Wrong again. It's a crude half wave voltage doubler. Look at the way in which the diode and capacitor are wired to each other and the secondary side of the transformer. It's a voltage doubler circuit, not a half wave rectifier as you originally thought.

--
It doesn't have to make sense.  It just has to work.
Reply to

No, I'm not. I've provided various videos clearly showing arcs in excess of an inch in length being created from far less voltage than the 75kv you claimed was necessary.

I'm well aware of that. You should have watched a video or two before assuming I don't know anything about this subject. I assure you, I do.

--
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
Reply to