Re: Gerber print driver

> > From: > > For all intents and purposes, the Gerber photo-plotters are being used > as an X-Y plotter and the multitude of aperture wheels is ignored - > which simplifies things. > > Therefore, one might expect that a Gerber printer driver would have > been available after all these years. > > Cannot find any. > Can you help?

Indirect method would be intercept the Gerber to HPGL output stream and then feed it into a rasterising image application and print from there.

You could always write one.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

HPL printers speak HPGL, or used to.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Back in DOS Orcad times a college of mine did exactly this. It was a matter of just 3 days or so, surprisingly small. I have no idea if RS-274 is so much different.

Stay away from HP-GL in the context of board layouts. Still the anxious eyes haunt me when I can't get no sleep, from these times when I came to the local board house with HPGL. Millions of implementation differences for each plotter.

In my standard Linux Mint distribution there is a Gerber viewer included.

The about-text says this:

%
Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

what's wrong with a gerber viewer and a printer?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

With HPGL, it would be a snap. Problem is, EAGLE only outputs a bastardized vector version of its "fonts". Rasterizing them only makes things worse. If someone got off their dead a* and a) correctly implement all characters and b) EXACTLY echo them in the Gerber (that is to say, do not change them or otherwise F with them), one could get decent labeling. EAGLE has gone thru numerous versions, and there has been ZERO changes/fixes to the"fonts".

Reply to
Robert Baer

gerbv does an excellent job for viewing, and provided you know exactly what you are doing, gerbv is good for editing.

Reply to
Robert Baer