gerber outline

Ospark.com's quote section took a gerber .zip file (generated by Eagle version 3.5) and said it couldn't find the board outline. It showed a few other problems too which have been fixed, thanks to several people showing working gerber code. Oshpark's need for a different form of board outline seems to be the only remaining difficulty. I'm hoping someone who has used Oshpark (or 4pcb.com?) will send a Gerber .zip file that has been accepted to me at snipped-for-privacy@rs-big-print.com. This will provide a "known good" example of a board outline that I can use as a model when generating gerber files. Also, it needn't be generated by Eagle but just be in accordance with Oshpark/4pcb's expectations.

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

It's been a while since I last used Eagle, but as I remember:

You draw the board outline on the Dimension layer 20 - ie if it's a rectangle, four lines forming a closed loop.

I've not used Oshpark but it seems their CAM export script takes it from there:

(on other CAMs you may have to add the Dimension layer to copper gerbers so the fab picks it up from there, but that CAM generates a separate .boardoutline.ger file)

If you did the above, is there something wrong with your lines that they aren't being picked up? Does a Gerber viewer make sense of your .boardoutline.ger file?

I don't have any examples I'm afraid, but when I was using Eagle the dimension layer was picked up by the fab successfully (although I do recall first time around having this problem as I failed to tick it in CAM export)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I did look at Oshpark's .cam data but not what you have mentioned. The outline code appears ok now but I'll keep your suggestions on record just in case something changes.

Hul

Theo wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus