Re: Faraday bags and other scarey things (2023 Update)

Phil Hobbs forgets his EMI testing of closed boxes, or has somehow never known that power/data/sensor cables were radiators of RF. I'm guessing the Rpi didn't live alone in the dark without a few outside world connections.

yep, all good solutions, if you aren't running power in and data or transducer wiring out.

Reply to
whit3rd

Of course, but entirely beside the point.

I might remind you that you said, "Metal in proximity is all it takes...", which is spinach.

(And I used your nym because I was replying to JL's post, whereas you're replying to mine. Saying "Phil Hobbs" this or that in a direct reply is just too precious--shades of a middle school playground.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Three feet, then walk past. Hmm. So, there _is_ a use case needing to know the distance a foot or so.

How does the Tesla know that you are three feet away, no farther no closer? And then walked past?

Even if that's true, one could also use UWB. Or BlueTooth, which is at 2.54 GHz. UWB is lower power than BlueTooth.

And UWB prox detection chips are widely available.

.

.

What's important here is not need per se, it's the ability to provide features that customers will pay for, or select your offering versus something else.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I got this one.

It seems fine so far, but I haven't had it for long. It is a great concept, a small portable jump starter and USB power supply.

Kids these days use the horrible plastic proto things. Wusses.

There seem to be 10 Chinese amps per SI amp.

The Bureau of Consumer Protection is a joke.

Von Braun said that one experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions. He didn't quantify the ratio for amateur opinions.

Yup. Way worse than even Marketing Megapixels. The 'boost button' is key--lots of chargers won't work on a completely dead battery.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I never have any trouble charging my battery.

Reply to
Ricky

The car parts people sell those kinds of chargers, because it leads to more battery sales.

I keep a bench power supply around the house. It will charge a totally dead battery.

Proximity, in the cited case, was a sheet of metal a few mm from the cellphone antenna, parallel to it. No antenna is happy with that much near-field interference with its tuning for the frequencies of interest. Radio isn't like light; emission/reception is NOT independent of metal in the antenna nearfield. The nearfield is large, and everything in it changes the albedo-equivalent.

Apple, notably, took a lot of flak from users when iPhone 4 was found to lose connections when held lefthanded.

Reply to
whit3rd

That is how my car works. 2014 model. They used to get it right.

Reply to
marty

Mine is so old it doesn't have a touch screen.