Re: engineering graduate school question

Now, when I got there, I found out that one - you couldn't afford to live

> there, and two - the laser research was all going on in the Physics > department, not the EE department, and the only faculty member in EE that > had worked with them retired last year... ;-)

Nice. I was in the microwaves department (part of the "school of electrical engineering and computer sciences"), and ended up doing circuit modeling. It happened to involve components at GHz frequencies, but at least in the research I did the frequencies were pretty irrelevant -- they could have been

1-3Hz or 1-3THz rather than the 1-3GHz they were and my thesis would have been the same. (Much of the time, for numerical accuracy reasons, you ended up normalizing a lot of the data to, e.g., 1Hz or 1 rad/s anyway...)

There had been some early discussion of doing some cool RFID stuff, but unfortunately we weren't able to get funding for it. Circuit modeling was funded, so there I was...

What *did* you end up researching?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

AH, well, I didn't... ;-)

I took the oral exam route, so no thesis needed. You see, I didn't have a BSEE going in, just a BS Psych, so I wanted all the course work I could get.

First thing I learned - If you had a choice between Course A in the undergrad classes, or course B in the grad classes, ALWAYS TAKE COURSE B! The material was more interesting, the grading was easier, the coursework more practical, and it was more fun. I almost flunked out before learning that...

Of course, it helped that I had been a hobbyiest and technician for a few years before doing this...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson