Re: Engineer's Pay

=20

> One solution is to join the news proxy crowd and set up nfilter (aka > NewsProxy) or Hamster or similar. That gives you the tools to drop > (never see) the junk that's coming from googlegroups or from aioe > except for those posters that you specifically whitelist. >=20 > The downside is that legitimate but not known-good posters from those > services get dropped as well. As users of those services, they may > have the leverage to get their complaints heard.

Depends upon how you set up your scoring. I consider=20 anything from google or yahoo! to be one strike against,=20 then each occurrence of trigger words in the Subject line is another stike (three strikes and the post is history) and the presence of any of a set of trigger=20 phrases is grounds for immediate dismissal. I find that this method allows legit posters from google and yahoo! through, while nixing the vast majority of the rubbish.

Reply to
Greg Neill

On Mar 18, 12:19=EF=BF=BDpm, "Greg Neill" wrote:=

And generally, you see 3 or more post in a row by the same spammer. Sometimes, dozens of posts. (Rarely, hundreds!)

That does not emulate the typical legitimate posting. So, if a filter has the ability to knock out a range of sequential posts by the same "author", (even if the author's name is spoofed), that too should be pretty effective.

If it continues to be this bad, I may look into nfilter, though right now I know zero about it, or where to get it, install it, etc... -mpm

Reply to
mpm

I'm still struggling to become adept at the filter expressions, but all-in-all nfilter is GREAT!

And it's trivial to proxy in front of Agent.

...Jim Thompson

Perhaps nfilter can -- Hamster doesn't. OTOH, nfilter source is out there so it might be possible to add. OTOOH, posting through a proxy or composing offline and then sending several replies to a group could easily result in several sequential posts, so that may not be a silver bullet either.

Google is (sometimes) your friend...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

First, you need to get a real news server and dump Google groups, since that is where most of the spam originates.

The current name of nfilter is News Proxy. The link at the bottom of my sig file will tell you where to get it, and the basics of how to use it.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Of course, according to this website I am either a "luser," a "lamer," or a "spammer." But I guess this will get filtered anyways. :P

As for the following from the website:

"Most of the people who post to Usenet via the clunky Google Groups web interface are lusers or lamers (or spammers, for which see below). Because of their use of a clunky Usenet web interface (and all Usenet web interfaces suck - Usenet wasn't designed for webification and does not need webification), they have no idea what Usenet is, how it works, or how to use it properly. And they don't want to learn"

Granted, it does say "most of the people" and not "all," I may be free of the titles. But in general, I have to defend Google groups for one of two reasons: 1) proxy servers and 2) mobility.

At work, our access to NNTP is nil since in the infinite wisdom of our network administrators they do not provide a news server nor do they allow access to one. Only port 80 is open. So Google groups is the only way to access USENET at work.

In terms of mobility, I don't see a need to download the headers to 2 different computers, much less the messages. There are cases, such as the binaries, that warrant a real newsreader. But I don't use that at work. In order to maintain sync between home and work for text groups (such as s.e.d), Google groups is ideal.

Just my $0.0197954 (Cad) worth.

Pete

Reply to
Suudy

All non-spammers are automatically "good", until proven otherwise.

...Jim Thompson

Why are you accessing USENET while on someone's payroll?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

=BD-mpm

le groups,

the bottom of

Thanks Mike!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Often for work related items. I often post design related issues, especially with things such as the GNU tools and FPGAs. Often message boards are more effective than USENET, but the real experts are still on USENET.

Pete

Reply to
Suudy

You're welcome.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, *I* for one do it for the same reason other people take smoke breaks out behind the building: it's occasionally useful to lift one's head from the bench and stretch. I prefer to spend a couple minutes skimming the sci.electronics tree, others -- lets see, this is March

-- others will spend hours on the NCAA tournament (vice fantasy football or baseball or NASCAR or ...).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I've never smoked in my life.

A fast walk around the building is better for you.

All a complete waste of time. I used to like NASCAR, but the crap it's morphed into is aimed ad people with ADD problems. I want to see the race, not the garage, the drive's family or listen to the idiots doing the commentary. In car cameras were cute, for one season. Now, it's so bad that you would think dimbulb was the technical director.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ask the boss if you can subscribe to a third-party news provider, and if he balks offer to pay the bill out of your own pocket.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

NASCAR ws interesting when they raced in real stock cars. Now they all have more or less identical frames and engines, nothing like what the dealers of the supposed cars sell.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Nascar is great when I can't get to sleep. Ten minutes of the idiot announcers droning on, tops, and I sleep till it's over.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you were a cute 20 year old secretary in a miniskirt and stilletos they would have deliverd it within five minutes.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would drive me nuts, knowing that over the course of my career I didn't get to do or learn nearly as many "interesting" things due to having to deal with the bureaucracy, even if I did make the same amount of money in the end.

I'd also be a little concerned that IT policy put the company at a severe competitive disadvantage and would be a little worried about their long-term viability.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hmm, and perhaps paid even more. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

It would drive me nuts too, if I cared much (I'll only be there another month). They have the money and get to make the rules, even though they are nuts. It takes a reboot to recognised a USB stick too. Productive, eh?

Two words; "military contractor".

--
Keith
Reply to