Re: Dirty switchers ...

If they're not insisting that you pay or go (or listen), why whine? Let them have their fun.

Reply to
krw

In the US this is usually called a "mobile DJ" service. "Mobile" because they come to your location with records, amps, speakers, etc. DJ means "disk jockey" - a person who selects and plays recorded music. People will say things like "We should hire a DJ for the party."

The DJ has usually brought amps and speakers and maybe some lights. He (most common) or she (sometimes) used to bring a stack of (records|tapes| CDs) and a (turntable|tape deck|CD player). Today the music comes from a laptop or MP3 player, but everything else is the same.

By itself, "DJ" can also be the person that works at a radio station, introducing songs and playing them. A "DJ" can also be the person in a hip-hop group who plays records to back up the singer.

If you are talking about a building where people go to listen to recorded music, dance, and probably drink alcohol, that's usually called a "club" or maybe a "bar". It was called a "disco" in the 1970s but not any longer.

As you have probably figured out, if you say "disco" in the US today, people generally think of the late 1970s music style - "Saturday Night Fever", etc.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I like my Bluegrass from Kentucky, where it all started. :)

I also like 'Bluegrass Underground' which is performed live in a large natural cavern in Tennessee:

and can be hard at
just before the Grand Old Opry.

(Bluegrass Underground airs every Sat night on the Legend, 650 WSM. The station where Bluegrass was born is home to Bluegrass Underground every Saturday night just before The Grand Ole Opry at 6pm EST.)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ugh, I hate the sound of bagpipes.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Then learn to play something else. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A bagpipe was invented as a military instrument to scare the enemy.

--

-T.
Reply to

That's just a story made up by cowardly enemy soldiers. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK - Then it is an instrument to attract lovesick banshees.

--

-T.
Reply to

Have you ever seen a lovesick banshee?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

as it was blowing, hot air!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You're the resident expert when it comes to blowing hot air, Maynard.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've never played the bagpipes, ergo...

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Me, either. We have someone who plays them for Memorial ceremonies at our Veterans' Park. He is out there a lot of mornings to practise, and break in new reeds.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell