Dirty switchers ...

Has anyone seen any good write-ups on, or figured out for themselves, just

> how the self-oscillating dirty - i.e. smoothing cap-less - switchers that > you find in use as lamp ballasts (or 'electronic transformers' that they > seem to be sometimes known as) work ? > > I recently acquired a fairly sophisticated disco lighting fixture that has > such a supply to run the 24v 150 watt lamp. It seems to have two main > switching devices, which I suspect are FETs or IGBTs, but can't tell for > sure so far, as the numbers have been ground off them. On the mains side, > it > has a bridge but no filter cap, so dirty DC is applied directly to the > collector / drain of one of the devices. No sign of any control IC, but > there is a small vertical sub-pcb that has a few small transistors and > other > bits and bobs on it. It does have a preset pot on the main board, which > I'm > guessing sets the output voltage. There are lots of 1 and 2 watt resistors > scattered around, as well as quite a lot of diodes, but overall, the > topology is not one that I immediately recognise as being any type of > common > switcher. The output to the lamp is taken straight from the secondary side > transformer. No rectification or filtering. > > Thus far, I've only quickly run an ESR meter over the small electros on > there, but nothing particularly bad looking amongst them. It just sits > there, pretty dead. Nothing exploding or smoking. Fuse intact. Nothing > obviously short on the 'power' side of things. Probably going to finish up > being an open polyester cap or some such, but it would be nice to > understand > a bit more, what kicks these designs off, and keeps them running. > > Arfa
Reply to
Arfa Daily

Can you put up some pictures somewhere? You should be able to dope out the switch as a fet or IGBT with an ohm meter.

tm

Reply to
tm

just

that

has

side,

resistors

side

up

failed bleed resistor ?

CFL circuit similar ?

N_Cook

any opto-isolators with hold-off/control function?

Reply to
N_Cook

That's pretty high tech for a product from the 1970s to use a switching power supply.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

My first color TV -- purchased in 1974 -- was a Sony KV-1920. It had a switching supply.

I don't know which company was the first to make consumer products with switching supplies -- but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Sony.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

that is pretty advanced.

It could be.

the oldest thing in the junk pile with a switcher I have is an apple ][ computer.

Of course they forgot to add a cooling fan or ventilation slots which Franklin Computer got right in their Ace series of clones.

I want to know more about this 1970s disco lighting system.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

They weren't all that unknown in the '70s. Almost all of the large supplies we used were either switching or phase controlled (the really large ones). I only remember one linear supply above 1kW, and that was a 4V 1000A HP that was used in a piece of test equipment. Big as a refrigerator, it was.

Reply to
krw

ha. that thing must have been about 12% efficient.

I saw some open frame "international" style linear power supply at a surplus dealer marked Intel with the Intel logo that was rated tens of amps at something like 1.8 or 2.2 volts.

It was one of those preposterious things with extruded heatsinks and the bent aluminum chassis around all the TO-3 cans.

I've noticed "interntional" linear power supplies these days are complete crap compared to the ones from yesteryear. Condor was still making somewhat decent ones about 5 years ago complete with silkscreened copyrights of 1990 on the PCB and case.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

They'd been doing it since before then -- I have the schematics in my RC-26 Receiving Tube Manual which depict a color set with half wave (yuck!) offline rectification. Goes right to the flyback, whence all the other voltages are generated. No heavy transformer (and, probably, a few months lifetime for the poor sweep tube!).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

This one seemed to go over everyone's heads.

the joke (and sad truth) is disco never died in europe. All horrible things last forever there.

the germans have some of the creapiest musicans that are still alive and popular, like Fancy.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It is safe to say good music comes out of the UK on a regular basis.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Bagpipes?

Reply to
krw

years

disco

and

uk,

divide

musicians

Sure, if you mean a decade or two every century or two.

?;-)

Reply to
josephkk

I've never heard of a British Bluegrass band.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So I guess you are an eclectic sort of person that likes both types of music. Country *and* Western? :)

(to quote the blues brothers)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I have zero interest in disco -- but I've always wondered why people dislike it so much. It's supposed to be danced to, not listened to. Why would anyone want to sit and listen to such fundamentally uninteresting music?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

That isn't Bluegrass. I like traditional country music, and 'Southern Gospel' music as well. I've owned & used waltz records, and classical music but Bluegrass is my favorite.

What most people call 'music' these days, gives me migraines.

The "Blues Brothers" were a couple burnt out druggies.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They dislike it because it is loud, repetitious noise, and listening was often unavoidable just like 'Rap'.

I used to sell at a flea market on the weekends, and some ass would set ut a boom box with a worn out tape of Cajun music and turn it up so loud you couldn't talk to customers. Then he would scream, "Doncha al' just love this shit?" Some people wouldn't listen to certain types of 'music' if it was their choice, and being forced to put up with it by morons turns it into hatred.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Because it goes with leisure suits?

Reply to