Re: Could Australia Blow Apart the Great Global Warming Scare?

June 24, 2009 By Robert Tracinski and Tom Minchin

[............]

Senator Fielding emailed graphs that claim the globe had not warmed for

> a decade to Joseph Aldy, US President Barack Obama's special assistant > on energy and the environment, after a meeting on Thursday.. Senator > Fielding said he found that Dr. Aldy and other Obama administration > officials were not interested in discussing the legitimacy of climate > science. >
[............]
Graham >

Fielding is a religious nutbag, enuff said.

Reply to
Dennis

Hmmmm? Does "religious nutbag" status negate truth?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "What would happen to [Obama's] vanity if he didn?t have us to throw alms to? What would become of his strength if he didn?t have weaker people to dominate? What would he do with himself if he didn?t keep us around as dependents? It?s quite alright, really, I?m not criticizing him, it?s just a law of human nature."

-Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"

Standard operating procedure for people who are afraid to think--shoot the messenger.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Yep.

OT: What are your thoughts about an IR repeater? A Stheno loop ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

For a remote control? You'd need an adaptive loop to make sure it didn't talk to itself (i.e. to reproduce the function of a telephone hybrid), or use a laser diode for the TX and notch out the laser wavelength at the detector (notch filters aren't that common unfortunately, but you could use a sharp-cutoff longpass). Those are both good for one hop.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Don't they transmit fixed-width pulses? If so, detect the incoming leading edge and fire a huge blast of reinforcement, like a photoflash repeater. That might network over some number of scattered units.

John

I ordered some diodes and emitters to play with.

I'm thinking of simply hard wiring, since equipment location _is_ around 60' from where I'd like to control it.

However there is a light path back if things bounced around enough.

Wonder if one couldn't delay the output, blank input, then "spew".

Although I suspect that really won't be necessary.

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

Seems like that's one of your eternal honey-do projects by now. Can't you just place a li'l transmitter in the remote on some ISM frequency that's unused in your area, then place a receiver near the location where the audio or video gear is and let that blink a IR LED? Doesn't have to by right there, could be behind a flower pot as long as the IR LED has a somewhat clear shot. The highest rep rate I've seen in a remote here was somewhere around 45kHz, not a whole lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That would probably work well. (I know zilch about remote control outputs except that they're pretty slow and work at about 900 nm...I don't watch TV or videos.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

20-50kHz base modulation, burst transmissions of the data bits. You can easily see it by hooking a photodiode to a digital scope in single-shot trigger mode, then hold the remote at it and press a button. I trust that you'll have one or two photodiodes at hand :-))

Hint: Photodiodes scrapped out of TVs and VCRs are often active circuits, with narrow filters in there. Need supplies and may not match the remote control under test.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I bought a commercial IR->RF transmitter and an RF->IR receiver. It was crap and erratic if the receiver was located anywhere near the TV.

Likewise with the LinkSys wireless WAP54G... which I why I hardwired the CAT-5 connection to my Roku Soundbridge.

So I'm going to wire this repeater by pulling telephone cable down the same space where the rear speakers are located... then IR straight across the room to the cable converter.

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

What frequency does it run at? Best would be one of the VHF bands.

The 2.45GHz WLAN gets corrupted by the TV? Did that TV ever pass EMC?

That's the real way of doing it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Jensen, is that you?

Reply to
who where

Around 32 kHz rings a bell. The 'flash repeater' idea should work considering that.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

has a lot of information about remote controls.

Michael A. Terrell

Not knowing what a "Stheno loop" is, i googled it and the second hit was titled "Malaysian Bat Education Adventure". So someone is trying to educate bats? Squeek!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Inside joke between Phil and myself ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim was teasing me about using laser noise cancellers for everything.

Of course, they do get you 50-70 dB improvement in most laser-based measurements for almost zero parts investment, but nevermind....

I'm currently at work on a well-upholstered version of the noise canceller, intended to require less thought on the part of the user.

(Not to diss the user--he has complexity of his own to worry about without having to care about mine.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs