How great is lockdown?

Really great.
For me.

I've been cleaning out the store-room (aka: The garage). Look at what I
found:

https://imgur.com/dfEQnOh

My very first power transistor (if you don't count the AC128 that came
with my Philips Electronic Engineer kit). The mighty 2N301. It was given
to me by the brother of a mate (who probably pinched it from PMG, where
he worked) sometime around 1965. I used it in a number of projects and I
just checked it on the meter. Damned thing still works. HFE - 77.
Leakage 1.8ma.

Anyway, I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the cleanup. Roll on next
weekend. I wonder what treasures I will find.

I did find some honkin' big AlNiCo magnets, salvaged from a monster
computer hard drive and some others from a Japanese 1960s vintage
medical chart recorder. I was hopeful that AlNiCo might be worth something.

https://imgur.com/FtZy56Q

https://imgur.com/ol35ojz

https://imgur.com/PDwMbFA

The last two from a Winchester drive. HUGE throw. Around 80mm. Might
make a good subwoofer motor.

Re: How great is lockdown?
Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

** Remember them well, every 60s pushbutton car radio had one - operating in class A with a choke load and a 16 ohm speaker.
    Usually mounted on a black anodised Al heatsink with no insulators.

    One I worked on had special 12V supply valves in the RF stages.

.....    Phil

Re: How great is lockdown?

**I found some OC28 transistors (mounted on a heat sink), some AD149
transistors and some those ancient, Pommy, black painted glass
transistors (OC71, et al).

Loving the lockdown.

FWIW: My first car (a 1959, FC Holden) was fitted with an Astor (Diamond
Dot) transistor car radio. I can't recall what the output transistor was
(prolly an AD149), but that thing had the sweetest AM radio I've ever
had in a car. Excellent sound quality and good range too. Sold the car
for $50.00. Shoulda kept it. Prolly worth North of 50 Grand today.

Re: How great is lockdown?

Yup. join the club !!

Re: How great is lockdown?

Any Holden with a chrome bumper... hell even some of the the plastic
bumpered models are starting to slowly move in an upward trajectory.

Re: How great is lockdown?

Probably not. You are making one huge assumption here. You imagine the
car would still be in reasonable nick. The reality is that you would
more likely; have worn it out: smashed it up: left it outside to
weather: ETC. Any number of ghastly fates would likely have befallen
that FC. FWIW, it takes quite some effort to keep and maintain a car in
good condition for some 60+ years. Most people would only bother with a
car that had some cachet *from new*, some rare factor, some novel
feature, that ensured it would appreciate in value over time. Sadly, the
venerable FC Holden had none of that.

That said, a former work colleague has a 60s Mustang that he's had
almost from new as well as a Sunbeam Alpine. The Mustang has been
restored once already, I watched his progress on it back in the 90s. The
Alpine, I'm told, is out in the weather and suffering from exposure.
Both those cars have some cachet.

A friend here bought one of the last Ford XR8s. There were 750 in the
last batch and each was individually numbered.

https://www.widelands.org/wlmedia/wlimages/20161115trainingsgebaeude-retouche.png

His is not even one of the rare ones as it is in common old Winter
White. I guess he's hoping it will appreciate as he isn't driving it -
he has an XR6 for a daily driver. The XR8 just sits taking up space in
his 2 car garage.

--

Xeno

Re: How great is lockdown?

**Correct. I plucked a figure out of the air, based on what other cars
can fetch. Clearly, the FC (wagon) is not as valuable as I assumed. I
know that my brother's 253 V8, VH Commodore is prolly worth around $20k.
'Cause I checked. And I was surprised.

  You imagine the

**Yep. Which would be sad. It had no rust! In fact, when I was offered
$50.00 for it, I thought I would put into a demolition derby and have
some fun.

  FWIW, it takes quite some effort to keep and maintain a car in

**True enough.

[Anecdote] One of my clients is a (recently retired) financial advisor.
He would typically visit me in a shitbox Merc SL450. Then, one day, he
piqued my interest, when he rolled up in an Aston Martin DB5 (British
Racing Green - of course). He bought it back in 1970 for bugger-all. It
was a bit tired, but in good nick overall. He spent $75k doing it up. I
checked the value on thing and told him:

"I betcha that DB5 has outperformed any investment you've ever made or
advised your clients to make."

He agreed.

He sold the Merc and his daily drive is a new Mustang. Urk.

**Indeed. My mechanic drives a '67 Mustang.

**Hard to know which cars are going to appreciate.

Re: How great is lockdown?

The drummer from Pink Floyd bought a Ferrari 250GTO for 25K ponds with
some of his earnings from "Dark side of the moon". Probably worth 1000
times that now.

Re: How great is lockdown?

Yes, "Dark side of the Moon" was/is a great album!! ;-P
--
Daniel

Re: How great is lockdown?

Nick Mason's got quite a few collectable cars. His dad raced a big Bently (which Nick still has I
believe) so it's in his blood.
--
Shaun.

Re: How great is lockdown?

https://carwitter.com/visit-nick-masons-car-collection/

Re: How great is lockdown?
On Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:33:32 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

I had one of those. It was a Motorola.and it worked a treat. Can't
remember where I found it but I fitted it into my Austin Maxi in the
1980s. It was made for a positive earth system so I had to insullate
the whole thing form the car chassis. My mates couldn't understand why
it took half a minute to warm up.

I got 35 quid for it on ebay a few years back. A bloke wanted it for
his 1959 Hillman Minx he'd restored..

Re: How great is lockdown?

**"Warm up"? Must have been a valve model. ALL SS ones are instant on.
Except for the latest ones that are fitted with 15 microprocessors.

You think I'm joking? I flattened the battery in my 2018 Subaru and, due
to a fuck-up with jump starting the thing, I managed to shut down all
the safety systems. I took it to my mechanic, who placed his OBD-II
machine on the car. It reported the prescence of 27 microprocessors. BY
my reckoning my Suby has about a billion times more computing power than
a space shuttle.

Re: How great is lockdown?

That's a low number by todays standards but that's unsurprising for a
Subaru. When I did the Holden Vectra training around 2003 or so that
model already had around that many.

BY

Not really. Each module contains it's own "computer" and they
communicate over the CAN-BUS. Many of these are typically pretty low
power in terms of computing power. There is one for pretty much
everything these days.

Re: How great is lockdown?

**Really. That surprises me. I had the in-laws' 2001 Vectra here for a
bit, as they wanted it sold. It was less sophisticated than my VP
Commodore (admittedly, optioned to Calais level). Unless, of course,
they did a radical re-fit of the Vectra by 2003.

**True enough. Bloody things are everywhere. They're so cheap and so
powerful, manufacturers can't help themselves. When I built an
intermittant wiper attachment for my Escort, I needed a small handful of
discrete components (A UJT, an SCR, a potentiometer, a couple of caps
and half a dozen resistors). Even back then it cost less than $15.00 to
build. I betcha manufacturers use a dedicated micro for the job.

Re: How great is lockdown?

It's cheaper to run power and a data bus everywhere than to run
dedicated feeds to everything. Saves copper, saves complexity, reduces
interconnects. Plus it allows monitoring. Send a message telling the LH
indicators to run, and if you don't get acknowledgement from each one
you can report a lighting fault. Etc.

CH

Re: How great is lockdown?

Most likely use PAL chips.

Back when I did a Chrysler dealer course on the Voyager and the
Wrangler, pre 2000, they had 15+ computers in each of them then. That
number will only have increased since then.

--

Xeno

Re: How great is lockdown?

The ZC Vectra was a very different beast. It had all the fruit (TCS,
ESC, SRS, ABS etc etc) but it also had things like modules for each tail
light, headlight, door lock etc. The VP had bugger all computing power,
just an ECM and BCM basically. There were different BCM "levels" (for
instance high or low) depending on the luxury level of the vehicle but
in terms of computing power it had bugger all.

They do and with it comes issues. Like the bloke who attempted to wire
up some spot lights on his NP300 Navara and destroyed the IPDM - $300
module from Nissan plus labour...

Re: How great is lockdown?

I hear that the Army is less than pleased with their Mercedes 4WDs. The
old Land Rovers could be fixed in the field with a set of spanners and a
hammer, the Mercs have to be towed back to base, and are bastards to fix
with all the electronics.

Re: How great is lockdown?

Yeah, I wondered how that would turn out in the end. It's not like the
Australian Army had much choice in the matter. The old Defenders dated
from the early Defender days with the youngest being more than a decade
old. The Benz has more capabilities but, as you say, the electronic will
be problematical, especially so when they age.

--

Xeno