A different PC internal speaker

Got a new desktop PC a while ago, unfortunately it was fitted with some piezo buzzer as PC speaker, so it made no audible sound whatsoever. Some tests of the piezo showed it to resonate around 4.1kHz... In that case you could hear a faint noise. ( I have some C code to write frequencies to that speaker ). I tried some other stuff I had laying around, but not enough volume. So did an ebay search for PC internal speaker, but most are weird expensive.. Found this:

pin 1 - red wire - P5V_IN pin 2 - white wire - SPK_DET pin 3 - black wire - GND pin 4 - not connected pin 5 - green wire - AUD_MONO

That unit has a little unknown power amp that seems to be connected in bridge configuration. The speaker is however dynamic, and measures about 8 Ohms.. So simply soldered 2 wires directly to that speaker and connected it to the motherboard, so without using the opamp and 5 V (there is no 5 V on the speaker connector I think), but the amplifier still connected. (module is glued, could not open it without damaging). Absolutely perfect sound over a wide range! Will the unused audio amp live? Probably:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ve..

..

idge configuration.

he motherboard,

tor I think),

thout damaging).

What's so amazing about a tiny 8 ohm speaker?

Greegor

You are lucky you got the piezo speaker at all. Antec cases haven't come with speakers for years. They will mail you one of those piezos that you don't like.

If you have a temp alarm on the mobo, you need the speaker. I don't find speakers all that useful in POST.

Reply to
miso

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:43:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Greegor wrote in :

More expensive inclusive shipping? Less quality?

I hade some of those, threw it away one day... Did not expect to need those, but of course one should NEVER throw anything aways, like keeping your 10o year old RF gear? Oh well.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:23:04 -0700) it happened miso wrote in :

I use the PC speaker in the xipo satellite positioner software I wrote, as 'beep' for dish alignment. Then later I also added a sound card beep. PC speaker is a very useful thing. You do not want beeps from apps to go through the mixer if you are processing auido at that time. It is just very strange they leave the speaker out in new PCs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

find=20

Not at all. It is 2 cants worth in a very low margin business.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

configuration.

motherboard,

think),

damaging).

The original scheme was to use a 8 ohm speaker (size anywhere from 2" to 8") between 1,4 on MB connector; 5V pulses from MB would drive speaker and MSBASIC "SOUND" command or at DOS Ctrl-G would echo a sound. Also, on older computers, beeps could eminate during POST indicating what failed. Bigger speakers were louder (ie: bigger than a dinky 1" or 2" el-cheapo).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Reason: It is all about M$ "bigger, better,faster" OSes..

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:22:59 -0700) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

configuration.

motherboard,

I think),

without damaging).

Right. I use Linux rxvt (or xterm) all the time for software development, and ctrl G now works :-) rxvt is sort of a terminal for the command line, mind you, you can start GUI stuff from it too. No menus or little pict-jures for me to 'click' on. Menus suck if you have thousands of commands, my PC speaks English, I just type the command. firefox & and its up. Source code in one rxvt, compiler in the other 9 virtual screens, normally no mouse needed. Microsoft windows was a terrorist attack on software development. Eclipse is even worse. Java is El Quada. We need to go back to basics. But, OTOH, having ever more bloat needs ever faster processors, sells hardware, these days you need a quad core with 1000 shaders for email, you know ...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

stuff from it too.

mouse needed.

these days you need a quad core

My PC speaker plays "Fur Elise" (about ten seconds worth)

I installed the BURG (not GRUB) boot loader, and it can play any tune you can program into it.

My boot take 30 seconds longer now, because of that.

It requires a MOBO with a PC speaker out jack, and a speaker attached.

Some sound cards have "PC Speaker" input jacks, which that output can be fed into.

Set your line length correctly, dork.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

bridge configuration.

motherboard,

I think),

without damaging).

stuff from it too.

mouse needed.

hardware, these days you need a quad core

I pass your gripe and second the motion.

Reply to
Robert Baer