Re: Big crowbar module for <4VDC?

Please allow me to interject my 3rd person impartiality on the subject of crobars. I've only designed one but it might interest you.

The application was for a braking unit for a 20HP 480V three phase induction motor drive. The brake is a transistor in series with a braking resistor which is placed across the DC bus. When the buss voltage goes up due to the motor regenerating, the transistor turns on and the bus voltage is clamped into the brake resistor. If for any reason the brake stays on for too long then there is a good chance of a fire developing. If the brake transistor shorts there must be an alternate means to remove the bus voltage. A latching contactor on the input side would work, but is expensive to implement.

I used a 90amp SCR module in order to crowbar the bus. The bus was

1000uF at about 700VDC. So the little 90amp scr took the bus voltage down to zero, and also cleared a pair of JJS-60 fuses. And the little scr remained intact to crowbar again if needed. I don;t remember all of the details as it was over 20 years ago, but one factoid I remember is that the currents got up around 7000AMPS! And there was a fairly loud Ker-Chunk noise and the wiring did jump a little .

So the point I want to make here is that you might be surprised what kind of punishment a little TO-220 scr might take. The only advice I can give you is when it's time to crowbar don't be shy with the gate drive current. Use a tight loop and hit it hard.

regards, Yzordderrex

> > "gmail" domain blocked because of excessive spam. > Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Yzordderrex

Ker-chunk plus wire jump with a TO220? Amazing!

Maybe we place several regular OVP-type crowbars in there in parallel, hoping that if one of the TO220's go kablouie the next one will hang on. After all, this thing has to only act once. If it ever does they'll call me in anyhow so see what happened and why.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

Your numbers match up to mine, protecting a 5V/20A system.

I saw about a 1000A pulse, only sound was like a faint "click".

High speed video of the fuse showed the whole segment vaporizing in ~1usec ;-)

Slow-blow fuses are for fairies and leftist weenies ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Egg-nog overdose alert! What sort of video system was that, exactly?

10^6 frames per second and what, 1000 frames or more?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You must have never used a serious electric welder. Fast-act breakers and fuses are a weight-loss program: Bphzt, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt, bzzzzzzt, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt, clunk ... "S..t!". Up the stairs, toggle breaker, downs the stairs, back to the welder. It once took two dozen such trips until I had new hinges on a gate.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Check out this series:

He did that on his kitchen table, gun and all!

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Smear camera. Actual break time was measured electrically. Video showed... now you see it... now you see it glow... now you see Rudolph gone ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Very Edgertonesque, except that that's a pellet gun--they don't let them have real firearms over there anymore, I gather.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Okay, understood. Optics people don't call streak cameras 'video'. ;)

You have my official permission to have another eggnog.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My wife worked for Doc Edgerton while I was a student at MIT.

...Jim Thompson

Oh, they've got some real rifles there, too:

I've used a range in Germany with a friend. But you do need a license.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Doc must have been one of the greatest professors ever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Also, his Leibniz cookies have no chocolate. What a wasted opportunity.

(Choco-Leibniz is my son's favourite cookie in the world.)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No nog yet. Though I did have a nice, until today unknown to me, "Tunnel of Elms" Cabernet with lunch... quite nice and inexpensive.

Found a nice new place for lunch, near Chandler Mall, in spite of its quite paisano name, "Nouveau Bistro" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Played a mean guitar and had steak cook-outs right there in his lab... a wonder we all didn't die of carbon monoxide ;-)

...Jim Thompson