Re: Arctic sea ice

>Richard Henry wrote: > >> Eeyore wrote: >> > I hate to tell you this but the world is currently COOLING. >> >> According to what data? > >Why not try looking for yourself Mr Smart Pants ? You'll only criticise >any soiurce I cite - it's 'your way'. Mind you, I expect Hansen will >find another way to fiddle the numbers. > >There are some temperature recording satellites up there btw. 2 of them >in fact. How about looking at that data ?

The number of satellites here is not 2.

The number of widely-noted major interpreatations/processings of their data is 2:

UAH and RSS.

Also, keep in mind that they both have interpretations of more than one layer of the atmosphere. Only the lowest layer of the atmosphere has high expectation to warm about as much as the surface - since greenhouse gases would actually cool higher layers.

The UAH ("more conservative") lowest atmosphere layer text data is:

The more-warming-showing one of these, RSS, has text data at:

The latter one notably excludes areas within 7.5 degrees of the poles (where satellite data gets more-lacking) and where Earth surface is more than 3 km above sea level. (intent is to represent lower troposphere, and about half of Earth's entire atmosphere by mass is within 5.5 km of sea level). (That "channel" also excludes areas within 20 degrees of the South Pole - but most of that area also qualifies for exclusion on basis of latitude within 7.5 degrees of pole or elevation at least 3 km above sea level or both.)

The above links were actually provided in that "A Tale of Two Thermometers" article in The Register.

Both show lack of warming close to only when conmsidering a 10-11 year period starting with the 1998 Record Great El Nino and ending with the strong La Nina that bottomed out in January 2008.

Don Klipstein