Re: 24-bit on tap at Apple?

A visibly flawed if not unenjoyable if not unwatchable signal.

Dooohhh.

You seem to have forgotten that the comparison is digital versus analog.

So what is analog doing at the same channel, time and place?

Trust me, it is not delivering a perfect picture.

SD being what, San Diego?

Sounds like San Deigo. Been there, done that and you're not going to pull the wool over my eyes.

SD is like SF - due to the rugged terrain and the widely distributed residential areas, OTA is exceedingly variable for both analog and digital. Always has been, always will be. The SD area is a poster child for cable and satellite. And satellite can be iffy if you are on the wrong side of the mountain.

A good antenna can't pick up a signal that isn't there or is highly corrupted.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

The results are not classic pixelation but rather a decrease in resolution. Pixelation implies sharp edges.

But you didn't say that.

Agreed. One can see numerous formats and quality levels within the same TV show. Especially true for news, but also true in other kinds of progamming.

There seems to be more channels than good high quality programming. But who is surprised?

I've been on cable since the 70s.

If you want the IP, you're going to pay. The only question is which currency.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

You obviously have no clue about how MPEG-2 works.

Just so you know, it is ALL MPEG-2 streams.

Also, bone up on FEC.

Since all you have ever seen is the blank screen the tuner delivers, you wouldn't know.

I worked at GI, the company that made the hardware that the cable companies and channel content providers ALL use. I HAVE seen what types of drop-outs occur.

You are just an idiot that talks out of you ass because you mouth knows better.

SOME of what you guess at has correctness in it, but very little, and particularly as this thread turned to talk about video.

Reply to
SoothSayer

No it isn't since it is no longer being broadcast.

But that is not all that is wrong with your declaration either.

Reply to
SoothSayer

You're an idiot.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Got any more gems of truth, Dingledorf?

Reply to
SoothSayer

Don't feed the troll. Look up his IP address and you'll see he is near SD. Here are some of his ignorant sock puppets:

THE DIMBULB SCORECARD

Abbey Somebody AllInTheChi AM AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever AtTheEndofMyRope AwlSome Auger BaltoTopDog BarnCat Bart!

10 BigBalls BillyPilgrim BlindBaby Booong... Bum, Bum, Bum, Bum... (Intel ad)" Bungalow Bill Capt. Cave Man CellShocked ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Copacetic

20 Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter DarkSucker Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd Dr. Morel DrParnassus FatBytestard FigureItOut 30 FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor George Orr GooseMan GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

GotchaDumbfuck! Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason" HiggsField I AM THAT I AM

40 IAmTheSlime ItchyGato ItsASecretDummy Jupiter Jaq Kai KilRoy IsHere LargeMarge life imitates life Lil Red Riding In The Hood

lurch

50 MadManMoon MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

MeowSayTongue Mr.Eko Mr. Haney MrTallyman My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do Mycelium Mycelium

60 Neanderthal Notably Stationed Nunya OutsideObserver Perenis Pieyed Piper Phat Bytestard quasar RoyLFuchs scorpius

70 SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

Son of a Sea Cook SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa The Great Attractor

80 TheJoker The Keeper of the Key to The Locks

The Last Mimsy The Loner The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra TheGlimmerMan TheKraken TheQuickBrownFox TralfamadoranJetPilot snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

90 UltimatePatriot UpGrade UpYerNose ValleyGirl VioletaPachydermata WallyWallWhackr WallyWallWhackr WarmUnderbelly WhySoSerious? 100WattDarkSucker 100
--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

That would be a joke on you.

Doooh!

AKA as ECC in much of the civilized universe.

No need to make yourself look stupid.

I take it that with your obvious personality flaws, GI kept you away from paying customers?

Too bad an IQ test is not required for internet access...

Reply to
Arny Krueger

You've got a problem with people who remember what was happening say 18 months ago?

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Thank you. He gets old, fast.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Call it what you want. How sharp the block edges are simply depends on your equipment, but the resolution is always lower for lower bit rates.

In fact I did. Or at least "1960's *RE-RUNS* that are obviously NOT high definition in any sense of the word, and NOT even WIDESCREEN" certainly implies it rather than the cinerama movies etc. you assumed, which obviously ARE widescreen! Not that all digital transfers of widescreen movies are even made to widescreen format (or HD). IME many DVD movies are still 4:3 because they have simply used an old video transfer. And then they are shown on TV. You are not going to claim that a movie originally transferred to video tape then to DVD, is somehow going to be HIGH DEFINITION just because it's transmitted on a Hi-Def channel I hope?

Not a problem, I just wish there was SOME actual Hi-Def programs still being transmitted here. They were when we first got digital broadcasting.

Lucky you, I have never missed it (or paying for it) until I bought a large screen TV, and they stopped screening HD material on our HD channels.

Our TV channels are still making a LARGE amount from advertising, just as they always did. And they got BIG taxpayer funding to convert to digital equipment. And even our *taxpayer* funded government owned channel now screens ONLY news on it's HD channel, preferring to show all the wonderful BBC documentaries that were once on it's HD channel, but now solely in SD (no not San Diego :-)

So yes, my taxes and advertising dollars are still paying, but now I am being short changed!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Wrong again, dipshit.

ECC is a type of RAM, dumbass.

I wish the retarded, cross-posting retards would simply stay the f*ck out of the electronic groups.

Hey krugshit, I'll bet you twisted wires together and added electrical tape to hook up van speakers.

I used soldered connections. That is the difference between me and you. You observe something with layman's eyes, then guess at what it is about. I LEARN about something via research and careful, scientific observation and KNOW what it is about.

PS. a.k.a. is not capitalized. So much for what you know about 'the civilized universe'.

Reply to
SoothSayer

And dopes like you prove yourself as braindead even faster.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Absolutely and totally wrong. ECC RAM in fact does no ECC. It just provides some extra bits that are used by the ECC circuitry in the memory controller.

I was working on computers with ECC RAM when virtually all RAM was made out of magnetic cores.

You would seem to qualify.

I've long been a believer in wirenuts when soldering was not practical. But, I've probably built more electronic equipment that is still in use by accident than you ever dreamed could exist.

If they were up to your intrapersonal and technical skills, then they were all cold joints.

I guessed very well then, as they gave me an engineering degree, probably while your dad's only hands-on sex life involved Playboy.

Which is why you have no clue about ECC and actually think that its done by RAM chips as a rule.

LOL!

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Wiring up speakers with wire nuts?!

Yeah, you're a real pro, dumbass.

Reply to
SoothSayer

You're talking to the guy who thinks DRAM doesn't use capacitors for storage, or didn't until I crammed that fact down his miserable throat and he dropped the thread. We call him AlwaysWrong (among other things). He'll never admit when he wrong.

Not true, some were solder shorts.

Reply to
JW

Ouch.

A real brain trust, eh?

I see no evidence that weakens your claim.

Ouch! ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Core memory with an extra parity plane was quite common in the 1970's, but I have not stumbled into core memories with ECC.

When semiconductor memory companies like Intel, tried to enter the main memory business with 4 Kib, 8 Kib (partially faulty 16 Kib) and

16 Kib chips, which suffered from package alpha radiation, they had to use ECC in order to reach similar reliability compared to parity protected core memories.
Reply to
upsidedown

IBM was pretty consistent about using ECC in 7030, 7090 and 360/85, which were among the last top-of-the-line mainframes with core.

"IBM 7302 - IBM 7030 Core Storage (16384 - 72-bit words: 64 data bits & 8 ECC bits).

"The 7090 core memory was a direct takeoff of the 7030 core memory. The memory bus provided the 7090 with 2 36 bit words at a time instead of one 64 bit plus 8 ECC bits word or 8 bytes and 1 byte ECC so the effective 7090 memory size was 32768 36 bit words."

Several references to an "ECC switch".

Intel also made 4 K chips that were split in half and connected with a fusable link, so either half could be used by itself if only half were bad.

They made add-on storage devices that were based on these, and added hot spare banks of RAM that could be automatically swapped in if an existing bank was getting too much ECC action. Microprocessors, I think 8086s, supervised the whole operation.

Intel unfortunately discovered that chips that were a half defective when first made, had vastly degraded reliability down the road.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Keep talking sucker, your inexperience is showing.

Reply to
Arny Krueger