Re: 24-bit on tap at Apple?

No Argument, and would contradict the silly claim that *only* vinyl records have proper mastering these days right!

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Thanks for a suggestion but now, I won't do it. Music is _NOT_ a pure sinusoidal waves and there are other things like attack, shape etc. The primary mistake all those proponents of wonderful digital sound make is assumption that analog audio ends at 20KHz. It doesn't. It doesn't end even at 30KHz and higher. Its amplitude falls quite rapidly, yes, but there is no such an abrupt cutoff at 22KHz.

Another reason, totally unrelated, for 24/96 is that is a standard de-facto these days. All those 16/88 and 16/96 are not. And storage is dirt cheap these days to save pennies by using some weird format.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

You do NOT *know* that. You do NOT work in a recording studio.

You do NOT know what the f*ck you are squawking about.

EACH production is unique, and MANY get the SAME level of care that a vinyl mix down got.

What a presumptuous twit you must be to say that. It's OK though. You have successfully given yourself away as someone that makes shit up as you go along.

Reply to
MadManMoon

Wow, given the cost of R-R tape these days, and it's poor quality compared to digital (I won't even mention how woefull cassettes are!) that is truly amazing. But some people still think 78's are the only real media, so I guess it takes all kinds. Anyone still claiming cylinders are the best I wonder? :-)

And for the record I still have my Revox tape recorder, but I haven't even turned it on in nearly a decade! (Wonder if it still works?) My Thorens TT still works for copying old vinyl. Certainly wouldn't waste my money on any new discs though.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Yep. And most of pop.

Raggae is totally different questions. Bob Marley, e.g. was da man... I have all his albums on vinyl :)

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn

Right, the auditory system collapses well before that, unless you are an 8 YO girl!

And how much do you pay for tape these days (per your other post) Now that's a weird format these days! :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Trevor,

You've missed my point completely. I miss the nostalgia of the era.

--
Randy Yates                             Digital Signal Labs
919-577-9882                            http://www.digitalsignallabs.comyates@digitalsignallabs.com

Fair enough, and I don't! Nostalgia ain't what it used to be anyway :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

That's right Trevor. *IF* the same were put on both then so it may be *BUT* it's not! If you want to go on listening to far inferior recordings on a possibly better medium then it's up to you, but it's something you will never know as you have not listened to a recent LP. Yes they cost a few bob extra (but we weren't talking about the cost) but are in general far better recordings. Oh......and as far as availablility is concerned, nearly all are available on vinyl. In fact I first had to buy a CD player only 6 years ago as there was an album that came out that wasn't n vinyl, a month or two later it was. Ever since then I've been able to get them all.

David

All of which is, in fact, simply the linear sum of a collection of sinusoidal waveforms. If you dispute this, take it up not on this forum, but go argue it with the likes of Fourier, Nyquist and Shannon. And good luck with that, let us know how it works out for you.

"Attack" and all the rest are completely withing the capabilities of ANY limited-bandwidth system, be it continuous of discrete time-sampled. The ONLY limitation is the actual bandwidth and dynamic range of the system.

Your primary mistake is that you make such an assumption, which is contrary to fact. I, along with many, many others, have actually carefully and throughly analyzed the actual content of analog rcordings, the properties of the microphones used to make them, and all the equipment in the reproduction chain, and 20 kHz is a VERY optimistic upper limit to the ACTUAL content of vast majority of distributed analog medium.

Prove it.

Prove it.

In analog recordings, that's true, it's often much lower. What may exist above that on the final distributable product is almost always comprised of non-signal-correlated noise not present at the time of recording.

There's nothing wierd at all about either of these formats. Both are fully supported by even the lowliest of storage formats, WAV files.

--
+--------------------------------+
+         Dick Pierce            |

These are exactly my findings from the vast majority of albums that I have bought over the last few years. Yes you have to pay more but they ARE better mixes.

I do not work in a recording studio but I don't have to be in the recording studio to fathom out which recording has been compressed more and which is more natural. I don't go to the lengths you do to convert my LPs to CD as I couldn't be bothered. What I do do though is buy the CD as well as they are a third the price of the LP. So I can make a direct comparison of the two mixes. Yes CD as a medium is superior to vinyl, we all know that, but LPs are in general better recordings.

Obviously this is not the case for every recordings but I reckon easily as high as 90% of the albums that I have boought over the last few years.

MadManMoon obviously has not bought an LP recently.

His loss, our gain. Listen to the music not the media or player.

David

Actually, every music wave form can be entirely represented as a collection of enveloped sine wave.

No such assumption has ever been made. What is known is that removing all audio above 20 KHz has no audible effects.

Straw man argument.

Says who?

It is one of several standards. 16/44 is the most widely used uncompressed format and 16/48 (video) is a little behind. Most audio that people listen to today has been lossy-compressed.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

No need, since I regualrly record, mix and/or master CD's myself. I could easily have it cut to vinyl IF there was a market, and the differences would be those required to suit the limitations of vinyl recording/playback. Something I prefer NOT to bother with any more.

All of what YOU want maybe. But still about 1% or less of what's released on CD every year.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Not even "enveloped" sine waves: simply sine waves.

Fourier and many others have shown that ANY waveform of finite energy and duration can be shown to be nothing more than the sume of sine waves.

--
+--------------------------------+
+         Dick Pierce            |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+
Reply to
Dick Pierce

On 3/2/2011 5:09 PM Dick Pierce spake thus:

Yes. Just what is an "enveloped" sine wave anyway, pray tell?

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

of enveloped sine wave.

Amplitude-modulated.

--
Randy Yates                             Digital Signal Labs
919-577-9882                            http://www.digitalsignallabs.comyates@digitalsignallabs.com
Reply to
Randy Yates

More likely they sound more to your expectaions, which may not necessary 'better' in terms of true fidelity to the master tape.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

However hearing perception does, but generally much lower than that unless you are a child. And I betcha most of those beloved LPs have sweet FA above

15KHz coming off them.

If you want to understand about waveforms and 'digital, google Nyquist theorum, which explains pretty well how lacking your basic understanding of the subject is.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

You mean compressed more so that you can hear the quieter stuff above the surface and preamp noise ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

If you record mix and master the CDs yourself there would be absolutely no point whatsoever in having the recording cut to vinyl, as you have personally done the bit that so many record companies deliberately f*ck up.

Reply to
David