Horsepower On Tap

I was waiting for Quartus to finish crunching my latest build, and poking around idly on NewEgg trying to see what it would cost to get a machine with a little more juice to it. I started thinking what a shame it was to have to keep upgrading to the latest and greatest machine in order to squeeze out some more clock cycles for big builds. And then I started thinking about Amazon EC2.

The idea behind EC2 is that Amazon runs virtual machines for you, and you pay them by the hour for their use. Use of an "Extra Large High-Memory Instance" running RHEL would run $0.63 an hour. It's the new spin on the old "timeshare the supercomputer" concept. This seems like a handy way to get a beast of a computer when I need to do big builds and/or long simulation runs without having to keep upgrading my core machine.

Has anyone tried this out to see if it works in practice?

says he had serious trouble with it, but that's from a year ago. Ideally, anyone with experience trying this with Quartus, but ISE, Modelsim, Rivera, etc would all be interesting.

Rob Gaddi

There certainly could be some license issues with installing software licensed to you on a machine that is not under your control. If you do this on a regular basis, it seems it would make more sense to just buy a bare-bones machine with huge memory rather than go through all the remote setup hassles. but, if you only do this very rarely, maybe it makes sense.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

HI,

Rob Gaddi skrev 2011-12-07 18:54:

Sun tried that for a number of years ago in their huge build/simulation center, but I think it failed when you need licensed software.

/michael

Reply to
Michael Laajanen

You can provide some feedback here,

that you would like cloud FPGA P&R.

Reply to
Christopher Felton

Hi,

Rob Gaddi skrev 2011-12-07 18:54:

One other drawback is that you will have to pay per P&R or simulation run, this was how it was in the minicomputer era(VAX and more) then came Unix workstations suddenly you did not have to think about the cost for a simulation run it was your own desktop workstation.

No, I think flatrate(you pay for your own box and run) is best, you will not have flat rate in a elastic clound :)

You can pay on demand for licenses but that is not nice either!

Just my experiences

/michael

Reply to
Michael Laajanen

Wasn't there a short lived push by EDA companies about 10 years ago to provide internet services in which the number crunching was done by their server while you entered and submitted your design using their software? I seem to remember that it was back in the day when we paid huge amounts of money for complete design and build tools and did it all ourselves. It was the pay as you go model. Perhaps the need has resurfaced. It seems to me if you can get a build 10 times faster for a buck or two a run, it'll be cost effective.

JJS

[...]

John Speth

was

if

Yes, It ended when all of their customers told them that they would would never let them see any of their IP.

The problem with running in the cloud is that they have to create a image and run it with root access open to the world so that the customer can control it.

Well so can anyone else who can guess it's password. It's really nice if root has to be sitting by the box in order to get it.

John Eaton

jt_eaton

Hi,

jt_eaton skrev 2011-12-09 05:46:

That you dont have to do, why do you say so?

/michael

Reply to
Michael Laajanen