Rate-gyro accuracy

Il 26/09/2010 22:04, RoV ha scritto:

I know the FOG technology. I go to read something about RLG. A true heading is good but not mandatory. Also a relative heading with a quite good accuracy is ok.

If the vehicle doesn't change much its attitude (say 1-2° for pitch and roll) the error on yaw axis should be very small, if I'm not wrong.

Anyway, I could integrate all three axis, but the FOG technology is too much expensive for me.

Ciao Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Seems to be around $600.

John

Il 26/09/2010 22:17, John Larkin ha scritto:

This is very interesting! Do you think it maintains the accuracy with tons of iron all around few meters away?

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Il 26/09/2010 22:04, Rich Webb ha scritto:

Using two gyros, one upside down, may compensate something? They will be at the same temperature so the drift should be equal. But it should sum in opposite directions.

I used VRUs on ships. For this projects I think they are too big and expensive.

Thanks to you too Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

What are the potential liability costs if a pointing error causes Something Really Bad to happen? The up-front cost of a proper FOG or RLG IMU or AHRS with good drift numbers may be a small fraction of that.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

So, can you, while setting it up, use a separate gyro or compass on the service boat, and turn the platform, take readings, compare, and compensate for the iron with some kind of look-up table or something? The iron isn't expected to change, is it?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A gyro shouldn't be affected by metal at all - it doesn't rely on any magnetic field, just the gyroscopic effect. Of course, then you'd have to account for drift and precession - the gyro will point the same way relative to the Universe, even as Earth rotates on its axis and revolves around the Sun.

But they seem to have figured out how to correct for that on, say, airliners. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Un bel giorno Marco Trapanese digitò:

Thermostat the sensor; most of the offset and sensitivity error of MEMS sensors is due to temperature drift. You won't probably get down to 2° per hour though; we are talking about fiber optic gyro performances here, and if it was enough to thermostat a

10$ MEMS sensor nobody would pay thousand $ for a FOG. :-)
--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

Gyrocompasses use the rotation of the Earth to point at true north, not magnetic north. They take a while to settle, but don't drift.

Airplanes use inertial guidance systems, which do drift a little, not enough to be a problem over the duration of a flight. I suppose thay'll all be GPS soon.

John

That depends - to some extent - on how good you think your thermostat can be.

What you can buy as a thermmostat for a water-bath never seemed to do better than +/-0.1K.

The best performance in the literature is +/-3.5 microdegrees; basically a water-bath completely embedded in a foot thick layer of plastic foam insulation, and a thermal time constant of about six hours. +/-1 millidegree can be managed with shorter time constant packaging - you can't completely embed most optical systems, and single-mode laser diodes need that kind of temperature stability.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Going back to GPS,

How wide is the platform? Two sensors (or three to define a plane) will give orientation. If it's not wide enough but can tolerate extra width, outriggers provide more "moment" on the measurement.

Tim

Tim Williams

According to OP, that was the first thing he dismissed, as the unit is under water - no reception.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yabbut, how close to the surface? If it's not moving around, how hard could it be to put an arm on it, or something?...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

The error in the yaw axis will be roughly proportional to 1 - the cosine of the pitch and roll, if you're disregarding them. So maybe you could get away with just one gyro.

But if you're running a vehicle around, you're going to get pitch and roll far higher than a couple of degrees, and the "1-cosine" error will climb rapidly as the angle increases.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Il 26/09/2010 23:01, Rich Grise ha scritto:

This exactly what I usually do in similar situations.

The iron on the platform itself doesn't change. But the platform will go very close to *big* iron pylons. I already verified that a digital compass saturates in a while.

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Il 27/09/2010 07:27, Tim Wescott ha scritto:

In fact, for 2 degrees of roll I have an error on yaw less than 0.001

Nope. I said the pitch and roll is *always* limited to that values.

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Il 27/09/2010 06:51, Tim Williams ha scritto:

Sorry, I can't provide too much details but there is no way to use GPS, also for depth. It was the first and straight idea.

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

Il 26/09/2010 23:23, dalai lamah ha scritto:

Ok, I like it. And I could give it a try quite easily.

Marco

Reply to
Marco Trapanese

PTC

Reply to
BaltoTopDog

Then it's running on a track or an arm of some sort. Why can't you measure the position against that?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott