quick-turn boards

Who is good for really quick-turn double-sided PC boards? 2 or 3 days
delivered.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t30ggxa5q3z34z5/Cap_Hack.jpg?raw=1

Re: quick-turn boards

your tormach ?

Re: quick-turn boards
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:49:05 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's an option. The circuit is pretty simple!

Re: quick-turn boards

yeh, looks like a few holes and an outline, wouldn't take more than a few minutes

Re: quick-turn boards

I think he left out of the drawing the 0.1" spaced holes in the perf board.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: quick-turn boards
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 14:00:29 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We'll do a PCB, with proper plated holes, silk, solder mask, all that.

The layout is done!

My contract layout guy suggests sierra circuits or rushpcb or
sunstone. We'll get quotes for 30 or so.

Re: quick-turn boards

if you want to nitpick, you should move one of the wires to the other end
of the board so all the caps have the same trace length and share current

Re: quick-turn boards
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 15:51:19 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

One of my guys started on a PCB layout and another headed for the
Tormach.

Tormach won.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95qvpqledr9tkuw/P902_Cap_Fix_1.jpg?raw=1

He doesn't mind doing 25 this way.

Re: quick-turn boards

C32... Oops!

Re: quick-turn boards

That got inspected by the VOA machine, with a manual followup. It's
connected.

So far, every one of these 250-watt class-D amps has worked when we
powered them up.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: quick-turn boards

On the main board I would solder the wires to C36 and then run the wires on the board to C35 and RTV them down in between C35 & C36

Re: quick-turn boards
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 05:41:25 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com

Or maybe strip the wire long and solder to all the caps. That wire is
#16 but could be 18 or 20.

But what he did would work OK. We don't expect vibration.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: quick-turn boards

It's probably radiating more than it needs to. Just one full twist in
the wires would shrink that.

Re: quick-turn boards
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:49:55 +1000, Clifford Heath

At 400 Hz in a metal box, radiation is not a concern.

Actually, the load is a chopping shunt regulator that runs around 30
KHz. That's going to scream.

Re: quick-turn boards

Either Sunstone or Advanced Circuits is fine for domestic quick-turn work.
Or WellPCB for those with finite budgets who can wait a week or two.

I prefer Advanced Circuits over Sunstone these days because Sunstone's
silkscreen capabilities are stuck in the Fahnestock-clip era.

-- john, KE5FX

Re: quick-turn boards
.

Sunstone screwed me over years ago and I will never work with them again.
They kept misplacing my order so I had to give them the credit card number
three times with days delay each time.  Then when I got the boards back the
y were around 30-40% x-outs and the ones they passed kept opening vias.  Fo
rtunately I had plenty of spares.  But I also ordered the test fixture from
 them and that had the same problems with open vias even as late as a decad
e.  Any time the test fixture exhibits flakiness I debug the symptoms and t
rack it down to add a wire.  They have many wires now, but at least they mo
stly keep working.

A horrible company to do business with.  Sunstone, ptui!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: quick-turn boards
    DIY is the way to go, especially if you can "cheat" the PTH with
compoonent leads.

Re: quick-turn boards
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 08:20:38 -0700, Robert Baer

I posted the Tormax-milled pic above. The caps solder to giant copper
islands, and he used pushed-in and soldered faston tabs for the wire
connections. We'll do that.

We have shipped one unit that needs to be upgraded in the field, and
the customer is willing to solder, before they run it full blast.

The TI class-D amp, TPA3255, does not specify DC offset; driving a
loudspeaker, a little DC doesn't matter. But there is enough to
saturate a toroid, hence the blocking caps. A couple of unfortunate
events resulted in the caps being undersized at worst-case load.

It's hard to find reasonable sized or cost caps with more than a
couple of amps of AC current rating, hence six in parallel. The TI
chip can output 17 amps peak.

This is the worst thing that happened in this box. Most stuff worked
first try, with only minor tweaks. Not a single cut/jumper.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdejxjz8a6vbny7/P900_FA_Jun_15.jpg?raw=1

This is our first use of an ST Arm, which we are using now that the
NXP parts seem to be going EOL. I hate when people do that, dump on
their customers.

Science teaches us to doubt.

Re: quick-turn boards

Which ones are going away?  We use a lot of LPC845s and LPC804s, and are
looking at using one of the NXP M4F/M0+ parts.

The ST factory headers are hideous.  What toolchain are you folks using
with the ST parts?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

LPC3250, and I think some of the 1768 series.

I'll ask Paul the next time he's in. He has said some baddish stuff
about their libraries. But first time on a new CPU, things happen.

He wrote a boot loader that we jtag into the STM32F207IGT6. We might
eventually have a distributor do that. At powerup, the boot reads a
plug-in serial flash chip that has the specific runtime code and the
FPGA image.

We can email upgrade files to a customer, or we can send him a new
physical flash plugin thing, so one of his techs can just replace it.

The ST is nice in some ways. It's very versatile about pin assignments
and has lots of goodies on chip. As usual in uPs, the ADC is pretty
bad.

I'd like to move more to ZYNQs and PicoZeds for anything that has an
FPGA or DRAM. PicoZed is slick. I should have used that on my
alternator box.