parts crunch

We are figuring that there will be some gigantic parts availability crunches pretty soon. There have be self-fueling parts panics before this current supply-chain nightmare. So we are working on buying some critical parts now, before the crunch.

So, can anyone guess what parts are most likely to be hard to get? We may as well buy reels of the common cheap stuff. I design with a lot of 1 uF ceramic caps and a few preferred surface-mount resistor values, which are cheap, so we'll get lots of those.

I'm thinking FPGA and uPs and other chips that have no simple substitutions.

Science teaches us to doubt.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

before

some

We

lot

Small node microchips are made over there.

But where are all the heavy power drivers and FETs made?

Are the 'big stuff' fabs still over here (if they ever were)?

As far as what to invest in or gather inventory from to anticipate logostical problems in the future... I don't know, man.

Investing should have been last week, since things may start to creep back up now (stocks, not virus progress).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The companies I work with are getting exemptions, and are still running. They get piles of letters from critical sectors, like defense, medicine, etc. and present them to their local Governor to get an exemption. Most of their staff work from home, but a few come in to run machines. They stagger shifts, keep distances, and stop periodically to wipe down.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

I noticed on my bike where a still open company had say ten cars outside, all spacefully parked. All of the occupants of which funnel through the same door, and into a much more confined 'same space'.

Even with the best air handling in a building, the possibility still exists that a single breath might hold the little guys (microdroplets)that transmit it to you.

The word for today is VECTOR.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They're all either in inventory, or shipping from China, as usual.

RL

Reply to
legg

I'm sure China is a mess too. There must be thousands of things critical to a semiconductor or capacitor fab.

Even if production crunches along, a random buying panic can develop.

We're still getting quick-turn prototype PCBs. This one is from Electronic Interconnect.

I did that layout myself; you might spot a couple small mistakes. We didn't do our usual reviews, but it's just a proto board. They were delivered to my house on Saturday.

 Click to see the full signature

Right. There's going to be a panic, so let's panic.

What you might be thinking about is what kind of shift there's going to be in capital investment - which country do you stick your investment in? The one that handled a virus, or the one that just fell apart?

RL

Reply to
legg

Yes. It will be the one that you have so many of on the shelves, that you never even think twice to see if it needs re-ordering!!

Reply to
mpm

Well, in Canada, those P95 masks will be hard to get (someone across the border is hoarding them).

Panic isn't the right word, of course. It's speculation and the hoarding instinct as we see in magpies.

Reply to
whit3rd

We're heavy on The Netherlands. Their virus cases started early, mid-February, and looks about peaked now, maybe on the down-slope.

Several small and mid-sized European countries have smooth well-shaped curves that look near peak. Some other data is a mess.

I wonder if the differences between nearby countries is real.