Question regarding 78xx series devices

I really like the LM1117-ADJ part. It's an "MDO" regulator, cheap, lowish dropout but it still has an emitter follower output. The adjust pin current is 60 uA typ, so if you really need a dump resistor, 10K would work.

I use those a fair bit too--they're great except for the 12V maximum input voltage. It's a different situation, though, because all those adjustable regulators need a minimum output current, and since you need the resistors anyway, there's no point in stacking them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm almost sure 78xx need something like 5mA minimum or the output voltage will be off

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That is not a true statement. It entirely depends on the FPGA. There are lower power FPGAs which do *not* draw significant quiescent current and even full power may only draw a small current unless heavily tasked.

--

Rick
Reply to

The guaranteed range is 5 mA to 1 A or something, but in practice they're okay. LM317s go _way_ off if you violate their minimum output current (10 mA max over temperature, iirc). We're probably all been bitten by that one at some stage.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den mandag den 7. december 2015 kl. 18.31.56 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

it specs a minimum load of 5mA, that's why the top resistor to set the voltage is usually 240R, 1.25V/240R ~= 5mA

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What is the voltage at the input to the 78015?

--

Rick
Reply to

A 500-ball FPGA and a uP and a couple of XOs will easily provide that load, so I seldom need to add more. Of course we consider that in design reviews; that's one thing on the list.

Tim Wescott

No, they're fine. There's an internal divider for the feedback voltage that provides a small load (something like 0.4mA IIRC) and the current used by the regulator flows out the GND pin (maybe 10x that, and fairly constant).

It is possible that at extremely elevated temperatures and no load the leakage through the pass transistor might overpower the divider resistance and cause the output voltage to rise out of spec, but I don't think that will happen within the recommended operating range (maybe if the device is forced into thermal shutdown).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

we were indeed

_________ Vin | |

0--------| 7805 |------ |_________| | +------------ ___|_____ | | o--------| 7905 |------ |_________|

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yikes. I wouldn't use that one on a bet, because the ground pins can't sink any current.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
Geez, John, you've gotten yourself almost convinced that you're the
best thing that ever came down the pike to play this game, and you've

impress, rather than to edify.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

ALl I can say is, you didn't understand what I said..

oh well

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

And your expectations were different ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

Not at all. No non-trivial FPGA is going to let its core voltage be pulled up by the minimum load requirement or adjust pin current of an of an LM1117. If it is, then worry about it.

Most modern products have XOs and uPs and FPGAs. Everybody does that. There's nothing unusual or impressive about that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Both of you are living in the 555 age. Most of us design more complex stuff. In most modern products, there's tons of startup current load, more than enough to exceed a regulator's min load spec.

And as I said, if the load is below the reg minimum, fix it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not really, but a worm _can_ turn.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

If that's true, then your calling them into play without pedigree was superfluous and disingenuous since all you seemed to be touting was your ability to route a ball-grid array and a few peripherals.

And not even routing it yourself, at that.

John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

No, current imbalance has to be handled by power zeners, and thus voltage t olerances have to be watched with care, and the load's ability to deal with small voltage shifts. Big caps are used to handle most of the momentary im balance. Keeping a careful eye on all tolerances before the zeners is of co urse vital. I've used it once, and yes it works fine as expected. With so m any conditions to watch it's seldom useful.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr