Question regarding (RF) microstrip design

Hello Everyone,

I had some questions regarding microstrip (or Coplanar waveguide CPW) design. Since it's my first project using a RF microstrip I was wondering if you could give me some advice on this subject.

My design incorporates a GSM modem. Earlier designs had the MC35i from siemens, this modem had an easy accessible RF connector where the antenna connector was placed on directly. Now, the design needs to be reduced in size and a smaller modem is to be used. My choice will be the Enfora Enabler IIIG [1] or the Telit GE864 [2]. Where the enfora has an RF connector, it's almost impossible to use this for a direct connection to the antenna connector. The Telit is a BGA module and has no RF connector at all.

The idea of my microstrip is to simply make a connection for the antenna on my PCB which can easily be reached. Basically this comes down to getting the RF from under the modem, to an 'open space' on the PCB. I think it will be no longer then 10mm. I will be working with a 4 layer board [3] and my prototype PCBs will come from Eurocitcircuits. I have used a piece of software called TXLine [4] to do some calculations for me on the CPW. I want to route the RF on the top layer (enclosed by GND Copper) and the layer(s) below will be ground as well. I am neglecting the effects of the substrate and copper below the 2nd layer. I chose the Gap between strip and copper to be 0.2mm and the program calculated for me, that in order to get a 50Ohm impedance, the width of the strip should be 0.66mm. A RF connector will be placed on the end of the strip. The frequencies on the strip will be GSM900 and GSM1800 (and perhaps later GSM850 and 1900).

How critical is making such a strip? Is my approach sufficient to stay out of trouble? Or am I overlooking things? I have never used RF on a board, and rather not blow up my modems or degrade the output power. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Jasper Keuning

[1]
[2]
[3] From top to bottom:

Cu (17u), Prepreg (100u), Prepreg (200u), Prepreg (200u),

Cu (17u), Core (550u) Cu(17u),

Prepreg (200u), Prepreg (200u), Prepreg (100u), Cu(17). (all Material is Fr-4)

[4]
Jasper Keuning

the shorter it is the better, less than 1/4 wavelength the effects of mismatch start to become less significant.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Sounds fine to me. It's so short that things won't be critical, and pcb losses will be very small.

Just be careful to keep any emi sources (uP busses, switching regs, things like that) as far away as feasible.

John

Decide on the most advantageous trace widths (and gaps and ground floods) before setting the layer spacings. You want to have trace widths that are a convenient size for the board features, rather than setting the board layer spacings first and then living with the required trace widths. For instance, set trace width to be same as any desired series coupling caps, or fine pitch pin widths, or same as an SMD connector launch pad. In your case, if the antenna line has to pass under the chip, pick a width that allows plenty of ground flood on both sides, at the points where you have to pass between pins or other routing obstructions. (Esp. since you want to use CPW, where the adjacent grounds are critical. Microstrip avoids the top side ground flood issues in routing) You'll probably want to look at all these things before committing to a final width and gap. And its always a judgment call as to which trace width will produce fewest mismatches with all the various sized interfaces along the path. I personally like to match to series elements and then the launch and termination points get some sort of transition to resolve the size mismatch.

If you can keep RF on only one side, make the opposite side about the same thickness and take up all the extra thickness in the center, to get your nominal desired overall thickness. This yields balanced fabrication, which minimizes warpage.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

As John said, the short length will make most issues less important but you might want to talk to your FAB house for what they recommend for the controlled impedance lines.

They know their materials and process and if you've been using approximate values in your calc they can get you closer.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

The wavelength of 1900MHz is about 160 millimeters in freespace, about half that in FR4 type material. Your 10mm length will be about 45 electrical degrees, which starts to become significant. Keep things as short as you reasonably can, because short lengths are much less able to do significant impedance translations than long, if the line impedance isn't what you wanted it to be.

On the plus side, the impedance of the line depends on the dimensions and the permittivity of the dielectric, but varies as 1/ sqrt(permittivity) and as log of dimensions, so small errors in either don't have catastrophic effects. For example, 45 degrees of 60 ohm line transforms 50 ohms to 59+j11, and 45 degrees of 40 ohm line transforms 50 to 39-j9. If you use either of those to connect a 50 ohm load to a 50 ohm source, you'll suffer less than a whopping 0.12dB transmission loss because of the mismatch (that's in addition to any line loss).

It seems to be generally misunderstood how LITTLE effect there is on power transfer if impedances are mismatched, within moderation. A 2:1 SWR (25 ohm or 100 ohm load on a 50 ohm source, for example) results in a lowering of the power dissipated in the load by only 1/9, about

11% or 0.51dB. A 1.5:1 SWR results in just 4% reduced power, about 0.18dB.

You can play "what-ifs" about this to your heart's content if you use a program like the free RFSim99, which includes not only the ability to simulate your circuit very easily, but also a simple microstrip calculator (though not your co-planar w/ground plane design). It also includes an RF calculator several tabs, one of which will take return loss, SWR, transmission loss or reflection coefficient as input and tell you the other three of that set.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Make sure that if you have several layers that are all supposed to be "ground" that you tie them together with LOTS of vias. Here's a relevant poem:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Thank you all for your response! What I got from them was:

Keep the strip as short as possible.

Make sure all grounds around the strip are really "Groundy", not being afraid of putting lots of via's in.

Try to keep noisy traces such as powerlines from switchers and High speed IO as far as possible from the strip.

Choose a trace width that best suits my design, and go from that point with the complete design.

I should not be too affraid of mismatch, a few ohms will hardly be noticed in terms of signal loss.

There are free programs availible for me to simulate a strip design, and I should not be affraid to use them.

I should ask my boardhouse for info/assistance on getting my impedance right.

My strip is only ment to get the RF part from under the modem to a place I can put my RF connector, Because the modem has Ground and power connections near (

Reply to
Jasper Keuning

If there is significant coupling from the RF trace to any other structures on the board then it would be safer to avoid resonances by making sure that the vias are significantly closer together than in the resonant structures in the poem. If you're really unlucky then the box in which the PCB is installed can also resonate, but at lower frequencies like 900MHz, it is not as likely to be a problem as with "real" microwaves. Sometimes you see resistive material attached to the inside of the metal casing for microwave equipment to damp these resonances, but I doubt you'll have any problem.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Then I will place the via's as close as possible to each other,

I will most likely use an ABS or PC enclosure, so I assume this has no or very little influence on the signal.

Thanks!

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Keuning