Putting An End to Dust Inside Computers

Yes, there are some high compression cars left but those are what most people would place in the hotrod category and where the highway patrol keeps their radar guns trained onto ;-)

I just wonder why high compression vanished from the mainstream. My Audi was more of a station wagon for a large family, not at all something you'd use in racing. Was it a higher level of NOX in the exhaust that did them in?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

With all due respect I don't think that's a gas mileage to write home about. Even my SUV with its 8.5:1 engine gets a lot more. And my Audi got a whole lot more than that. It actually still does since my former neighbor bought it. 35mpg isn't bad for a car that is now 20 years old. Oh, plus it never broke down and he does regular long-haul trips from Germany to northern Sweden where he has a house.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You can buy special brazing rods for aluminum that will work with MAPP gas. I've seen it used, but I have no idea of the strength of the joints. You might ask on rec.crafts.metalworking for more information.

If you have any small welding jobs you need to do with oxyacetylene, I'm just a couple hours north of you, right off 441 and you're welcome to use the equipment.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My GTO had 220 Lbs compression before the new piston rings seated themselves. It took 400 amps to turn the engine over, when it was at full operating temperature. I had to use #1 welding cable for battery cables. :-)

The cops loved to follow me, no matter where I was going, or what I did. There was a 30 mile stretch of highway from Ft. Rucker, Al. to Dothan, Al. with no posted speed limit. I had the speedometer back up to zero when the hood started to have ripples flowing through the surface, and there were no hood pins, so I backed off the gas. It was only 3/4 of the way to the floor. You had to run the highest octane fuel that you could find to keep it from pinging.

BTW, Ft Rucker is right next to Enterprise, AL. where all those tornados hit recently.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Till the squirrel dies, anyway.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

problems with welding/brazing aluminum with gas is that it's difficult to tell when the AL is at the right temp;it doesn't glow red like ferrous metals,and you end up melting big holes where you want a weld,and then there's the need for flux or an inert gas shield. (I bought a couple of the Bernz-O-Matic AL soldering rods,and Harbor Freight has Alumiweld rods in stock.) I would do better using an electric welder.

I appreciate the offer!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik