TIP: Dust cap for on-end 1/4 inch sockets

A large Behringer mixer returns with intermittant loss of one or both channels due to being used outdoors and dust/damp getting on the L&R Main Insert bypass contacts. As the main inserts are rarely used I decided to add a pair of captive dustcaps, after replacing the sockets this time . It just happens the hex "nut" part of F connectors is the same thread of these metal bushed sockets. 2 part crimp type with a core barrel and a larger cylinder crimped over, in normal use. Ground off the inner cylinder and ground a slight slot in the remaining disc, that is free to rotate in the hex, to take some silicone sleeving. That sleeving swathed in coloured hotmelt, filling the exposed top part of the disc . The other sleeve-end knotted to a solder tag using a convenient fixing screw. Then a disc of rubber cut with leather punch to go inside the hex , to seal to the top of the socket, on screwing down the hex.

Reply to
N_Cook

You got lucky, there are a bunch of different sizes of those threads, at least here in the land of the rapeable consumersheeple.

Reply to
jurb6006

If, as seems likely, the thread is 3/8-24, you might consider off-the-shelf sources, as well

The common electric lamp threaded tubing is 3/8-24 thread, and I recall seeing such threaded fittings (couplings, decorative bits, and caps) in a wide variety.

Reply to
whit3rd

..

Drat, I just checked; F connectors are 3/8"-32 tpi (threads per inch) ... I'm opposed in principle to cross-threading a mismatched part.

Reply to
whit3rd

Threaded pipe for lamps is 3/8 IP. This thread is an old straight pipe thread designation and the pitch is 27 threads per inch. This is the most common thread and it dates back to the 19th century. The O.D. is actually a nominal .405". There are larger threads and one smaller. The smaller is a 1/4-27 thread. Not 1/4 pipe but .250" O.D. and is not very common. Eric the machinist

Reply to
etpm

I happen to have a few bags of F cons laying around. These dustcaps look the bees knees, blue sleeving and blue dome over the caps. I could have used some fine ball chain , as some of that laying around, but in an audio-vibrational environment it could rattle, methought.

Reply to
N_Cook