OT: Language Funnies

Talking with a friend who was born and raised in Japan, but moved to the US after serving as a stewardess on Japan Airlines, and ultimately becoming an interpreter at the UN....

She still has trouble with American colloquialisms... such as "play it by ear" or "flying by the seat of your pants".

But she said her major faux pas was at her first job...

She came in one morning, all cheery, and announced, "Good morning! Today is Wednesday. Wednesday is the day for humping" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

What was she trying to say? "Humping" as in "get moving" or something else?

A Chinese friend just sent me several recipes for preparing duck tongues (I had mentioned that they were on offer in a local Chinese supermarket). Her translation of one includes the line "add wine for getting rid of the tongue smell". ;-) Maybe I'll try making them. Fresh, raw, and in the package, they look like neat rows of little penii (sic). Steamed, with no sauce, not much better:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

--
My wife likes to tell the tale of when one of her colleagues
confusedly combined "Shooting from the hip" and "Flying by the seat

--
In the US, Wednesday is halfway between Monday and Friday, so it\'s
like the "hump" of the week.  That is, climb up to Wednesday and

In the same genre as JFK calling himself a doughnut in Berlin. :-)
Reply to
John Fields

Not all of us, anyway. C. says they call Wednesday "hump day" on the radio. I wasn't aware of it.

;-)

I was just talking about this with some Indians and Pakistani immigrants yesterday. They are quite fluent in (their form) of English but I will likely never be able to talk to them on the same level because they lack not only a command of idioms, but also knowledge of rare words such as "waxing" (in the sense of "increasing" or "specifying") that are typically used only in set phrases, and also common cultural references such as SNL, Monty Python, American movies, and so on. No doubt it works both ways, but I'm not planning on living in Islamalbad or Mumbai. Even everyday expressions such as "by all means" give immigrants problems.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I rather like that one. I may even steal it.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Is it much different elsewhere? ;-)

Yes.

I think pretty much everywhere in the English-speaking world that is true.

"Donut", innit?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Try asking them what "Wuthering Heights" means!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Actually, myth. What he said (Berliner) was grammatically correct.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

:-) So, did she get lucky that day?

We have a Japanese friend who posed this stumper: What are the rules for the use of the word "in" versus "on"? You sit on a stool but in a chair and on a sofa. Do you ride in a bus or on a bus?" She worked for the State Department teaching Japanese, and I suspect one of her students asked how to translate that kind of thing to Japanese. I couldn't answer her.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

"hump day" monday and tuesday are "uphill", thursday and friday are "downhill". the verb she was looking for was "cresting the hump"

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

ISTM that's a usage rule, not a structural or content rule. Kinda like riding a car as opposed to driving a bicycle. ;>)

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Native speakers are pretty useless when it comes to explaining 'rules'. We know something is wrong instantly when we hear it, but generally don't know rules as such.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

A floor is a plain, an office is a cubicle ;-)

...Jim Thompson

___

Login Logon

Logout Logoff

?
Reply to
Charles Jean

ehsjr sez:

The Brits, especially, are fond of saying they work "in" Broad Street, or such, whereas we yanks say "on" Broad Street. Go figure...

--
John English
Reply to

Homer J Simpson sez:

The title of a book. Not in a dictionary. What do you think it means?

--
Al, the usual
Reply to

It refers to winds howling around a high set house. (See also "Black Narcissus" for another emotive rendition).

wuthering

  1. Said of wind: to blow strongly and with a roaring sound.
  2. Said of a place: characterized by windy weather of this kind.

Etymology: 19c: from dialect wuther to roar or bluster; related to Norse hvitha ('squall of wind')

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Why? You gonna get some kind of evil thrill from watching his eyes glaze over and his brain come rolling out his ears in the form of dense black smoke? :)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

Hehe. Well, besides the obvious evil thrill, it does sorta drive home the 'translate by word' problem, don't you think?

Reply to
flipper