Printer server

Hello!

I would like to turn my USB printer into an ethernet printer. Instead of buying stand-alone printer server, I would rather build printer server PCB into my printer and take power from printer itself.

Are printer server PCBs available for buying or DIY?

Regards,

Marko

Reply to
Pygmalion

Cost-wise, that's probably not going end well for you. And if you insist on doing that way, perhaps a small form factor PC case while sitting the printer on top would do better.

A perhaps may-be option is an Ethernet printer interface (unless, it's just occurred to me, that's what you were talking about anyway), which supplies an Ethernet printer interface on one end, and a standard printer parallel interface on the other. It otherwise looks sort of like an land line modem. A few sockets, a few leds and a wall wart for power.

That is of course, if your printer has a parallel interface too (some do, some don't).

If it's only USB, then you're out of luck (cheaply anyway). And for good reason too:

USB only printers are designed to a price. The cheapest possible price. And you don't get Ethernet connectivity because they're not designed to be run with the throughput that Ethernet printers usually get.

I understand you might be the exception to the rule, but that's what you're looking at either way.

Reply to
John Tserkezis

My printer does have a parallel interface and I do look for Ethernet printer interface. So, is there a PCB available for that?

Thanks, Marko

Reply to
Pygmalion

Take one of these that meets your requirement out of the plastic case, and you have your PCB.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The chance you'll find one as a PCB only is very unlikely, however, if you *really* like it that way, I'm sure a screwdriver can fix that easily enough.

This is about as cheap as you're going to get, and I'm guessing you're not going to fit one of those within the printer anyway due to lack of space... As I said, they're not real big, so won't adversely add to the clutter anyway.

I've just looked one up (google TL-PS110P, US$40-50 via ebay), and this is quite small, about the size of a very chunky centronics plug. (not including wall wart). It appears to have a limited printer support list, so be sure to check on that if you're going for this one.

--
OPERATOR! Trace this call and tell me where I am.
Reply to

Oh gosh, then it is more reasonable to buy a new LAN printer. Despite my current one works just perfectly after so many years...

I would prefer DIY option. I love making and repairing electronic stuff and price would be even lower. So if it is possible to make "land line modem" to connect parallel to ethernet, this would be perfect. I can make DC power supply myself.

If this is not possible, never mind.

Thanks, Marko

Reply to
Pygmalion

It's completely possible, but I have noted that the cheap print servers tend to frequently hang up and require reset. I've had no problems with low end (Samsung color) and high end (HP workgroup) printers with built-in Ethernet interfaces. YMMV.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

if

re

the

his

Of course it's possible. Any uC with USB host and Ethernet will do. For example, the NXP LPC1758 will give you plenty of resources to DIY. If you don't like NXP, you can pick from TI, ST, Atmel, Nuvoton, etc.

Reply to
linnix

Why, when you can buy a wired/wireless USB 2.0 print server for $24.99 + shipping?

Michael A. Terrell

So, if the printer fails, you have to throw away the printer server, too? Lots of network appliances have the printer-server function built in, just buy one. Airport Express will handle 802.11N wireless, wired Ethernet, and streaming audio, as well as putting your USB printer on the network for any computer that does Bonjour (it's an open standard, most OS'es have it). About $100.

Reply to
whit3rd

Not only that, but he could also mount it insode his printer, if there is room. Of course I refer to the internals, not the entire product.

Reply to
Nunya

Thank you all for the discussion and a useful insight into my problem. I will now think it over and choose one solution.

Regards, Marko

Reply to
Pygmalion

Thank you all for the discussion and a useful insight into my problem. I will now think it over and choose one solution.

Regards, Marko

Reply to
Pygmalion

Thank you all for the discussion and a useful insight into my problem. I will now think it over and choose one solution.

Regards, Marko

Reply to
Pygmalion

I just picked up a HP Jetdirect 500X and another HP Jetdirect 170. Both were free.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Be sure to put them behind a tight firewall. The JetDirect has a reputation for the most bug-ridden TCP stack ever created.

Reply to
Nobody

I have both hardware & software firewalls on my network.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell