implementing ethernet server on FPGA or other choices

i have to build a weather station. the data from the sensors is to be transmitted via ethernet and IP protocols.. i couldnt really reach a decision on which of these develpoment tools should i use.. or which one is better..?

  1. FPGA
  2. PIC18F + EN28J60+eeprom ( all from microchip)
  3. microntroller with built in ethernet controller

OPTION1: its a college project, so FPGA's are readily available and FREE. but can we build a web server with TCP/IP stack and a ethernet controller in FPGA within 2 months? i would be glad if any1 told me that they have iimplemented a web server in FPGA within2 months..

OPTION2: AND OPTION 3: the PIC choice seems good but why spend time wiring PIC +EN28J60 when u can find a microcontroller that already has a built in ethernet controller..?there already is a TCP/IP stack written for PIC's though.

i need advice on time, money , and the possibilty of achieving the goal in FPGA within 2 months .there are 3 ppl in my group including me..

Reply to
anujG1984

It's all been done before and readily available, so it could be done in 2 hours - not 2 months - aside of course from your weather station interface... it all depends on what parts you are going to want to do yourself...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

You can use the "Gigabit" ethernet core in the Virtex IV FPGA chip from the xilinx company. But still you should realize the "TCP/IP" stack in the FPGA.

Reply to
IDDLife

Using an FPGA to implement the TCP/IP stack seems a touch overkill for a weather station.

Actually I would have though running ethernet to a weather station was a touch iffy, although I supose you might use a wireless link. Even then I would have though a simpler interface to a more powerful base station made more sense. But it is a course assignment so the goals probably don't match normal peoduct requirements.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Get each person in the group to start on each of the 3 choices, and then after ~1 week, compare notes and tool flows. If it's looking smooth, you can even implement this more than one way (as much of the code will be common) then you have a great write-up, having solved it more than once !

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Otherwise you can get AT91SAM7X samples for free by talking to your local friendly FAE...
will provide you with RTOS + TCP/IP stack

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson