Power Supply Design

You can use all kinds of fancy current limiters. But a very simple one is to build a half-wave voltage doubler, but make the first capacitor much smaller than the second one. On each cycle the charge of the first capacitor will be pushed into the second one. Very simple and basically foolproof.

-----) |------------>|------------------> out | | | | _ _ A _ | | --------------------------------------------

I first saw this trick on an ancient photoflash unit-- a 0.5uF first capacitor and a 20uF second capacitor. At 2KV.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

That may just work if the op can find a suitable cap to use for the lower value cap. According to LT spice it'll need to be around 50uf and be able to handle around 3A rms ripple current to get the charge time under 1 minute. Of course it has to be nonpolar also.

Mike

Reply to
Mike
[....]

That depends a lot on the transformer and what you call a "safety point of view". If the windings are against each other you are limited to the rating of the wire which usually ends up being something like 600V. Many of the ones for 110/220 operation have the primaries well seperated.

[...]

I think that that is a very bad idea.

[...]

That depends too much on the transformer. You can't trust it. Unless you know for sure.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Oh, right!

I forgot, in most voltage doublers you use equal-sized capacitors, then the first capacitor shouldnt get reverse-biased at all.

But if you use a smaller first cap, it's going to undergo full plus and minus excursions until the second cap gets at least half charged up.

So you need a non-polarized first capacitor, which is a bit of a problem:

(1) if you use something like a non-polarized electrolytic, these tend to be made mostly for motor-starting apps, where they're only used for a fraction of a second. They'll overheat and boil-over if used for more than a few seconds (trust me).

(2) The other non-polarized electrolytics tend to be for cheap speaker crossovers, where they're only rated for a few volts. Don't think of using these either.

(3) If you use a non-electrolytic, a 50uF 300 volt one will be kinda big and expensive unless you shop at surplus stores. Avoid the ones that don't say "NO PCB's"!!!

Or I've heard you can put two electrolytics of twice the size in series-opposing and that acts somewhat like a non-polar capacitor. This sounds mighty fishy!

So to summarize, my idea is SUPERB in theory, but a bit difficult to implement unless you have an uncle that works for the power company and gets to carry away "used" capacitors.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker