PMT pulse amp

Hi All,

Looks like I=92ve got a new little project designing a pulse amplifier for a PMT. I=92m thinking of something like this,

PMT C~0.01u |\ Anode O----||--+-(+) >- (Repeat amp stage.) | |/ R1 R1 | GND The PMT is a Hamamatsu R212, with negative high voltage on the dynodes so the anode is near ground. I=92m going to try AD8001=92s for the amplifiers. (Following suggestions by John L.) I=92ve never used a CFA before so there is a little something new for me to learn.

With R1=3D 50 ohms I=92ve got about* 1mV /10ns pulses at the amp input. I=92d like to get the pulses up to the ~100mV level. The amp will sit right next to the PMT so there is no reason I can=92t increase R1 and get a bit more gain that way.

Just wondering if there is some other circuit configuration I might consider. (Since it=92s a current pulse from the PMT would a TIA be better?)** And any gotcha=92s with the CFA? (I=92ve got to read a bit more by S. Franco on CFA=92s before picking resistor feedback values.)

Thanks, George H.

*(I looked at this a year ago, but didn=92t write the numbers down in my notebook...sigh. But I could see things on a =91scope.)

** can I cram the current pulse into the (-) input of the CFA with perhaps a 1k ohm feed back resistor and then a second stage voltage amp?

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:49:58 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Jus tan idea. If you have 1mV in 50 Ohm, then you have a 20 uA pulse from the PMT How about sticking that right into the base of a NPN? Zi of the NPN is low, That way you use beta to multiply that current, use a low collector resistor, So for a beta of 100 and a Rc of 50 Ohm, you would get 2 mA pulses in 50 Ohm,

100 mV. no opamp needed.

Yep. I did that with a vidicon pre amp stage, worked perfectly.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ns

it

usually you should just pick the Rf recommended in datasheet and set gain with the other resistor.

too low and Rf goes toward unstable, too high lowers BW

I believe you can:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

ons

tor,

Ohm,

ext -

Thanks Jan, I'm not much of a transistor level design guy. (Mostly I stick them on the output when I need more poop.) If I'm getting a current gain of 100 at a frequency of ~100MHz. (~10nS) What transistor would you use? How does the current gain change at high frequency?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ions

bit

Thanks Lasse, I think I mis-spoke when I said I hadn't used a CFA before. I've been using the CLC450 for years. (I just never knew.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

PMTs have a habit of blowing out amps. Put a back-to-back schottky pair in the front end.

You don't need a TIA, as PMTs have lots of signal and fast TIAs are a PITA.

If you need speed, an inductor in series with R1 can help a little.

Look at THS4303. Fixed g=10, and the tricky inverting node is handled internally for you.

John

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:06:55 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Well, I would look at what I had in the box :-) In the old days it would likely a BFY90 or similar. Maybe today a BFR96. As for the gain - changes - it depends on what you want to do. If you need to measure amplitude very precisely then perhaps some feedback system could be applied. If it is just to detect the pulse, it would not be so critical. In my case with the vidicon I could control system sensitivity by changing the target voltage. It all depends. You will probably need some protection circuits too, PMTs can make huge spikes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ons

bit

Excellent... schottkies added!

Yes! I like it simple.

Oh, add a bit more gain at high frequency. But I really don't care about speed. It wouldn't matter if the pulse got streched out to

100nS. We're replacing a current preamp sold by Amptek (A111) that was used in the original design.

That's a screamer. I'm a bit afraid of having more frequency response than I need. (With no access to the inverting node, can I still roll the gain off?)

Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

k system could be applied.

g the target voltage.

pikes.

I'll look at the BFR96. We are just pulse counting so I don't care if the pulse becomes a bit distorted.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Gain of 100 at 100MHz with a BFY90? Err ... that's like trying to win the Rallye Monte Carlo on a moped :-)

ft is 5GHz. You need north of 10Ghz for this job or use two in a row. If you never did transistor stuff I would not recommend doing this unless you know an RF guy in the neighborhood.

My favorite amp is the THS4021, not a CFA, very behaved. Heed Johns advice about protection but make sure the diodes never come on unless needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No stock at Digikey? Gasp!--what have you done with the real Joerg?!

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

a BFR96. As for the

Thanks Joerg. I wasn't sure if the same sort of Gain * BW =3D~ ft, equations could be used for transistors. I would much rather stick with opamps though! (I'm afraid a 5GHz transistor will start singing above 1GHz, and I'll never know it...)

Excellent, I'll add a few to my order. (Hey these babies aren't cheap! ~$10 for onesies)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You could get 10x gain at 100 MHz from a $2.50 CFA. Voltage-mode opamps tend to have low slwe rates, too, so be careful there.

John

Or a 99 cent MMIC.

John

Huh?

Over 2000. How many do you want? Mouser has some as well. If you need oodles of them order at Arrow. 6 weeks leadtimes, which is next to nothing these days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

In George's case probably even a 40 cent MMIC. But MMIC are in essence glorified RF transistors. You pay a 200% premium for having the bias resistors in there, and if not careful they can sing the blues up there in the gigeehoitzes. "Hey, why do all the bars on my cell go away when you turn that there thang on?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

.

If you search for "THS4021" all results save one are listed as "Not stocked"--that's what I was referring to. So, they have them, but no guarantees.

You must admit, I gave you a scare :-).

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Well, I only look at the qty on hand, it's all that matters at Digikey. Larger qties are bought at mainstream distributors anyhow.

:-)

I wasn't too concerned because the client where I designed it in never called me about it. And they would have if they couldn't get it. 6 weeks leadtime for reels ain't bad, I have seen north of 40 weeks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've recently seen >150. ...and then there is Maxim, where 150 weeks is good.

Reply to
krw

Most of the InGaAs darlington mmics are claimed to be unconditionally stable. I've used lots of them as wideband pulse amps, and so far they all seem to work fine. They are about as much GBW per buck as you can get.

I have a bunch of data on using the ERA5 as a pulse amp, around here somewhere...

John