7805 with a 7905 pinout?

Is there a three terminal positive regulator that has a pinout like three terminal negative regulator? Stoopid Bob uses the footprint for a 7905 for a 7805 sch symbol. This little gem would save me from either a bunch o cuttin n jumperin or another board run. Thankx.

Reply to
BobG

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:49:54 -0700 (PDT)) it happened BobG wrote in :

If the quantity is big enough I am sure somebody in China will want to make some for you :-) How about a small adaptor board?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Those regulators come in a variety of pinned packages, TO-220, TO-3, TO-5, TO-92, TO-202. If this is a TO-220 (the most likely package), then I've seen a bit of spaghetti insulation and the legs crossed. Ugly, but there weren't any sparks.

Twist the legs before you cross them... it limbers 'em up.

Another possibility is to cut the center pin and bolt a lugged wire to the heatsink tab (gives you a long wire to attach as you please).

Reply to
whit3rd

Unlikely. The chip/heatsink is V- on one, Vout on the other, inherent to the silicon.

John

I've see that 'fixed' with rectangular washer on top of a TO-220, allowing it to be bolted to a heatsink plate backwards.

Kevin McMurtrie

Ha ha - you too, I cursed for a month!

I bent the legs around to suit - ugly but it worked.

Reply to
Dennis

There's good news and bad news. Good news first: There are voltage regulators with pinout swapped (including the voltage at the heatsink tab). I can't remember the company though, it was a small one definitely based somewhere in central europe. The bad news: as the company is sort of dedicated to space and high reliability markets, the price tag is gonna kill you. Had exactly that problem once, and it was a lot cheaper to respin the board as a single voltage regulator would have been somewhere around 80 bucks.

HTH, Florian

Reply to
Florian Teply