PLL synthesizer chips

What matters most to me is that the mental design process is not slowed down by the mechanics of CAD schematic entry. Design is the real work.

We size our library parts and fonts so the schematics look good printed on B size (11x17") paper. We have a great Sharp color copier that's networked, and prints B size too. Toner comes in buckets.

PADS doesn't support colors or layers on schematics, and I don't like to clutter released schematics with notes that can't be hidden. But my D size vellum originals are decorated with notes, calculations, and waveforms; I never throw them away.

lunatic fringe electronics

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/22/2017 4:19 AM:

Let's not forget the Medical Industrial Complex. That outshines them all! I believe we spend a larger portion of the gross national product on medicine than makeup! Military is a distant third.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

In its AT&T-funded glory days, Bell Labs did amazing stuff. Someone observed that the thing the great scientists and inventers and Nobel laureats had in common was that they all had lunch with Harry Nyquist.

lunatic fringe electronics

As long as you're forgetting... Don't forget the GWC (Government Welfare Complex). It dwarfs them all.

Reply to
krw

Yup. In the software arena the same was true of Xerox PARC.

I used to tell people that to solve their problem, "all" they had to do was look at Bell Labs / PARC reports of a one/two decades earlier.

That was obviously hyperbole, but after they had solved their problem there was often a fairly direct path back to there. For me it worked directly in one case :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:20:57 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

So it was all your work then!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:33:12 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, many boards are actually simple, maybe can be even done on 1 layer... Long ago I would draw with a etch proof marker on copper, then etch it. Many boards I see could be done that way.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:42:27 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in :

Especially when you realize the MIC is part of that, it just keeps people in jobs that produce useless 'weapons', and pays them with tax money. While it would be better if they were fixing roads, waterways, and other infrastructure. Same cost, more peace, less enemies, less dead bodies.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Bringing down the USSR? I didn't contribute a lot to that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Without plated holes, foil adhesion is poor. So all of our boards are at least two layers.

Well, I did one PCB with one node on one side of the board.

lunatic fringe electronics

They certainly aren't useless. Kept you from speaking German or Russian. ...and probably responsible for your existence.

Wrong, of course but typical lefty illogic.

Reply to
krw

.com

Some military-industrial complex is useful. The US does seem to have much m ore than it needs.

senal

infrastructure.

It doesn't fit right-wing tunnel vision, but there's nothing illogical abou t it. The proposition that if some weapons are good, more weapons are bette r, is entirely illogical, but krw doesn't have the cognitive function left to cope with non-linear relationships.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/23/2017 5:39 AM:

But it can only happen if we can get everyone to do it. What do you think the chances of that are?

BTW, there would be a lot of engineers out of work. You think they'll be happy working on fixing roads? What about all the stock holders of defense contractors? Won't they be a lot poorer?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Jan Panteltje wrote on 10/22/2017 4:19 AM:

Where did you get *this* drivel??? It's just patently absurd that anyone would put a plane in the sky that would kill the pilots by radiation exposure. Actually having someone fly a plane is not the only way to measure the radiation level. Further, I can find no evidence anyone flew a nuclear powered aircraft. I do see where the Soviets flew a conventional plane with a nuclear reactor on board, mostly with the reactor shut down. The US never even built such a plane.

Do you really think we can't build another rocket like the Atlas V? We don't need the exact plans because we would build it better today. Heck, even Elon Musk could do it far cheaper than NASA. That's why they scrapped the shuttle. They wanted to go the commercial route and save money.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:15:39 -0400) it happened trickwoman cried:

mama drivel

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Oct 2017 23:56:11 -0400) it happened rickman wrote in :

Chances are bigger it is all nuked flat and trumpy will draft you to rebuild.

Burning dollars will be used to keep you warm.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Oct 2017 20:17:32 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in :

left:

Good golly :-) Are you aware there are other directions than left and right? You are getting nowhere by always turning left, or turning right, you are going in circles. like GOTO left

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Have you noticed that some people confuse left and right? What's interesting is that those same people tend to confuse 1 and 0 in logic designs, get the active-high and active-low wrong.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sure. There is stupid. You got that one nailed.

Reply to
krw

What a little brat.

Reply to