About the main cause of slip rings catch fire

Can anyone tell me any experience of how and when slip rings will catch fire? Any respond appreciated!

Reply to
slipring_cn

When they are made from wood, may be a possibility.

Reply to
Winfield

Sno-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Win, I don't see you joke around much, but when you do, it's a zinger! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

According to your post in another thread, you're the slipring expert. So why don't you tell us your website address and then we'll know what sliprings not to buy.

--
John B
Reply to

slipring snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Slip rings are made from copper alloy. Copper does not burn. The brushes are made from everything from conductive materials to powdered carbon and/or metalized graphite mixtures, which will burn quite nicely. If your brushes are on fire, you are probably drawing too much current, which is usually what happens when your rotor field windings develop a shorted turn or you overload your unspecified motorized contrivance. Slip rings are also used only in AC alternators, where a shorted diode can cause excessive current. You can also create a fire by using the wrong material for replacement brushes, the wrong size brushes, or insufficient contact area (high current density). If this happens to be an ST generator head you're trying to repair, the following might be useful:

Notice that on 5kw and up models, dual brushes are used on the slip rings.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The main cause would likely be: Extremely elevated temperature.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored