Plethora of (old) data and application books

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:37:30 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

Maybe it is a regional thing and the original WildBlue folks still are clinging to their namesake.

I was under the impression that when it got switched to "Exede" that the entire realm switched. Wild Blue was the original moniker.

Still, it is ALL under ViaSat's ownership and is their hardware.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Oops. Y'er right. I got Hugesnet and Exede satellites mixed up. Please ignore my comments on finding a high angle satellite, which applies only to Hughesnet and thanks for the correction.

Incidentally, ViaSat-2 is scheduled for launch in early 2017 followed by ViaSat-3 in 2019.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

There are different plans, which deal with limits somewhat differently. With the Liberty Pass, if you go over your "priority data limit", it slows down to between 1 to 5 Mbits/sec (depending on time of day), but does not stop. Excede refers to that as "no hard limit".

$10/GB:

Yep, after the initial teaser rate:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:58:43 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

ViaSat-3 is a "three bird constellation".

Each iteration outperforms the previous, which is astounding considering that ViaSat-1 shattered all previous records (and still does).

It also led to a suit against Space Systems Loral for IP theft that ended up in a $450M award for ViaSat.

Now, the rotten bastards are selling (or already have)Hughes a bird with some of that stolen tech built into it. But the rotten bastards sure paid the rent for that rip off.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did you see the photos I posted? It doesn't take much trimming to get a usable hole. However, it sounds like your neighbor is not interesting in negotiating the aesthetic details.

Yep. I just had dinner with a customer who complained endlessly about his Wild Blue (old hardware) speed and performance. Exede wants $100 to drag the installer back and check the alignment. I charger more, so most of my customer go the Exede route. When he was done, the receive SNR was showing about 6dB. Minimum spec is 10.4dB. The installer, with the extra $50 bill in his pocket declared that it was just fine. I get to look at it this weekend and see what he screwed up this time.

Maybe. Let's do a little math and see if works.

The birds are 2 degrees apart in the sky. In order to separate adjacent birds, one needs about a 0.5 degree guard band. That leaves

1.5 degrees split between two birds or +/- 0.75 degrees aiming accuracy. The stated -3dB dish beamwidth is 1.6 degrees, so that works. Aiming a dish to +/- 0.75 deg is not easy or fun.

The 60ft steel transmission line tower (no wonder your neighbor doesn't like you), might have the sun on one leg of the tower, and the other in the shade. I would give it about 15C temperature differential. Coef of thermal expansion for steel is about

13*10^-6/C. Therefore, one leg will be: 13*10^-6 * 15 * 12in/ft * 60ft = 0.14 inches different from the other. I have no idea how wide the tower might be at 60 ft, so I'll just guess(tm) about 5ft or 60in. The angle produced would be: arctan(angle) = 0.14/60 = 0.0023 angle = 0.13 degrees which is less than the required 0.75 degrees. Ok, your transmission tower should work.

One trick I use is to glue a common mirror to the back of the dish or mounting pipe. I secure a common laser pointer to the ground, shine it at the mirror, find the reflected spot, and mark the location. Then, I plot the movement of the spot as the sun moves across the sky. This trick can measure very small changes in angles. I've seen three story townhouses, chimneys, and Radio Shack poles move more than the

+/- 0.75 degree minimum. I've also seen the entire house move when something big and heavy is moved nearby, such as the family car parked in the garage on the same foundation slab as the house.

The early HughesNet radios are on Ku band (12-18GHz) while the Exede radios are on Ka band (26.5 to 40GHz). The Ka band radios require more alignment stability than the Ku band. Also, HughesNet now has some Ku band radios and leased transponders. I'm not sure I would want to extrapolate on the successful HughesNet installation without knowing the details.