Plastic/rubber - absorbing water

Doesn't "on Jupiter" imply on the surface and hence very deep in the atmosphere? :)

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , John Woodgate wrote: [...]

I don't think they would have radios to listen to while they float around.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Rich Grise wrote: [...]

None of us have been there I trust. I think it is a good bet that there is a bunch of iron and other heavy stuff near the core. Iron is fairly common so at least some will have gotten in there. The center would not be made from a pure material so figuring out its nature would be a complex question.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Keith Williams wrote: [...]

I think arguing for a rocky core is taking things a bit far. An iron core would be denser than a rocky one and thus could be smaller to get the same mass.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith
[...]

Was the oil perhaps something intended as a fuel or hydraulic oil? Both of these contain agents to keep things clean.

Any rubbery material is likely to be attacked by chlorine containing solvents. I wouldn't expect to find this in something refered to as "oil" however.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I don't know what sort of oil it was, nor exactly what type of electrolytic it was (other than it was a fairly big can electrolytic, for bulk capacitance in a power supply). I've seen the same thing happen in a big cap in an amplifier, after our cat pee'd on it :-(

Reply to
David Brown

I think this is semantics. Would anyone argue that while they're in an airplane, they're "on Earth"? I'd think they're a little above her - they're certainly not on the surface. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ken Smith wrote (in ) about 'Plastic/rubber - absorbing water', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

Read Clarke's story 'Meeting with Medusa'. The medusas used electricity as a defence and had biological radio antenna arrays, possibly for communication but maybe to tap Jupiter's own radio emissions for energy.

Of course, this is SF, but there is nothing in the story that is inconsistent with modern physics.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ken Smith wrote (in ) about 'Plastic/rubber - absorbing water', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

No, you are thinking planet-bound. Do you leave Planet Earth when you fly in an aircraft?

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Keith Williams wrote (in ) about 'Plastic/rubber - absorbing water', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

Nobody knows. Hypotheses about the cores of gas giants include;

Metallic hydrogen - we've never seen it so we don't know how dense it might be.

Diamond.

Iron and other heavy metals.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ken Smith wrote (in ) about 'Plastic/rubber - absorbing water', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

Rock couldn't exist at the pressures and temperatures involved, any more than it can below the Earth's mantle.

John Woodgate

They're "in the air". :-)

No, silly, in that instance you're "under water". :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'Plastic/rubber - absorbing water', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

If they aren't on Earth, are they on the Moon, or Mars? Yes, semantics HAVE to change when you are changing your viewpoint very considerably.

Are you 'on Earth' in a submarine? You are not on the surface.

John Woodgate

In article , John Woodgate wrote: [...]

I avoid flying in aircraft because I'm always worried that I will leave the Planet Earth as a result. Does that count? :)

Yes, I know that the odds of my being killed in a wreck on the way to the airport are greater than the odds of dieing in a plane crash. This is why I avoid driving to the airport too.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith
[...]

I certainly would if by doing so, I could give John Woodgate's leg a little tug. As it happens, I have to claim that in an aircraft you are not on earth.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith
[...]

But, but, but, typically you are above a lot more water than you are under.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Keith Williams wrote: [...]

Do you have a reference for the earth not having an "iron core"?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Of course you avoid driving to the airport, when you won't fly anyway! :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

AFAIK, the Earth is sorta unique here. The other rocky planets don't seem to have an iron core or for some reason aren't *nearly* as magnetic. In any case, the Earth's iron is a fluid and the rock "floats" on top (the "refining" process). Were Jupiter similar it would have a rocky "core", or at least surface (which is really what we were discussing).

--
  Keith
Reply to