looking for sport start clock designs

I have an intermediate knowledge of electronics. I want to design and build a start clock for orienteering events for our local orienteering club. In orienteering the competitors start the race at either 1 or 2 minute intervals, with a start clock which sounds the last 5 seconds of start interval with beeps, the last second (on the minute) being a longer beep.

Other design requirements are:

- low current consumption

- portable and small (6"x4"x2" max???)

- large LCD readout of the seconds and minutes (5 digits, 3 for minutes,

2 for seconds

- precise quartz timing

- rugged and weatherproof

I wonder if anyone can point me to reasonably similar start clock designs which I can adapt to my requirements rather than me starting from scratch.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

--
to reply via email remove "fake"

Ski racers use a similar system. Here is one:

Richard Henry

I did one of these many years ago using a microprocessor; nowadays you'd use a PIC, so Google on "digital clock" and "PIC". One that pops up very quickly is:

which does what you want. The PIC code could be modified to bleat appropriately.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor