PING: Hobbs, re "laser" beams

Low-tech 2.0 version: Two tennis balls on the rope, neon-colored. A green one at the end of the rope and an orange one 3ft higher. When going up the hill head for the orange ball, when leveing off in the garage stop when the green ball touches the windshield.

The ball in our case is mounted such that it lines up with the driver and steering wheel.

We have a similar problem but not with the garage. My wife is also petite and no matter how things are adjusted in my car she cannot reach the pedals.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Whatever you go with, tennis balls or lasers, please also put one of those
convex wide angle mirrors either on the ceiling just inside the door or on
the back wall.  Even if you don't have a lawnmower she needs to be able to
verify that she won't be running over anything before she pulls in - what if
you were in the garage and had a heart attack, or one of your grandchildren
was out there playing?
Reply to
Carl Ijames

Good point! ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

I better not show that to my wife. She is the neat freak par excellence and very organized. If I'd ask her what's for dinner on October 1st she could tell me right away.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Yup. A neighbor ran over their own cat :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, but cats are stupid.

Reply to
John S

Found it...

Suggested by Steve Roberts... Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Who needs a laser? As usual all problem solved with Duct tape.

Just get a big roll in some bright color and put two stripes down the ceiling where the car goes. Problem solved.

Reply to
benj

You're suggesting that a woman drive into a garage while looking at the ceiling ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

How would you use that to guide her into the garage? Without blinding her.

lunatic fringe electronics

Joerg mentioned a pilot, and that got me thinking of the PAPI (glide slope guidance) used on runways, this optical device changes colour depending on which directions it's viewed from. it's just bunch of projectors.

Basically have a low power projector sending one colour to one side and another colour to the other side, I'm thinkig a large lens with a lit image at the focal plane, install the lens and the focal plane, then you'll see an image of the ourdoors, mark it up with some paint, start with a line along the ideal path then mark each side with a distinctive colour. make sure it will b suitablt lit wen needed.

Jasen Betts

Jim, Remember, 5 milliwatt green Line Lasers from Z-Bolt with the optional heat sink.

Mounted using KM100T adjustable optic mounts from Thorlabs..

Lasers:

mounts:

You'll need a small regulated DC power supply for the lasers.

Mount on ceiling, harmless but bright green line runs down middle of lane.

The KM series mounts have 80 pitch threads for precision X-Y adjustment of the beam position.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

I know the Z-Bolt ones I mentioned in my other post are industrial grade lasers. However there is always the cheap Asian clone:

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

My physicist friend used to call those piles as being 'vertically organized'. Some people are horizontally organized and some are vertically organized. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Then a row of balls on rope forming a line like runway approach lights.

They could hang separately, or on a single clothes-line.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It draw a line on the hood and dash of the car, which she centers herself left/right... so that it crosses the Bose speaker ;-) She'd have to lean wa-a-ay forward to look up at it... 9'6' up. Fore and aft are covered by photocells. ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

Yes. I found my notes, finally. Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

The PAPI light units are slide projectors indeed, with a half red and half colorless slide in.

There are better than PAPI lights in aviation. The parking aid systems show arrow patterns pointing to the direction of proper approach line, and the pattern changes when the stopping position is approached.

--

-TV
Reply to

How about:

On the ceiling of the garage, towards the back, a vertical piece of wood or metal. In one side, a red LED or light bulb. On the other, green. You are on the centerline when you can just see both. Offset a bit for the driver's position in the car.

The standard golf ball on a string sets the stopping point.

lunatic fringe electronics

That's an interesting idea! Thanks!

Golf balls hurt... tennis ball ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

       Antifa's war cry, "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all!"
       Victory for Antifa would be the destruction of society.

             -Hector Morenco (@hectormorenco) August 28, 2017

How about putting the laser source on the car (dashboard?) and 2 strips of duct tape on the garage ceiling and have wifey keep the laser dot/line between the strips and then use the tennis ball and string device for stopping? Art

Reply to
Artemus