Ping Jim Thompson Sine Shaper question ????

Off topic" something about actual electronics! :-)

Jim,

Could you suggest a discrete transistor that would work well in the Intersil 8038 sine shaper section? Since the 2206 is out of production, I don't think it would hurt to discuss it..

Schematic is page four of this document:

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Hi Steve, I'll see what I can conjure up. It's been awhile. My latest "sine shaper" circuit was more than thirty years ago...

How precise do you need it to be? Some years earlier I cracked ON-TV's horizontal sync perversion more accurately than their own box using just discrete devices >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

If you're thinking of making a discrete-transistor copy of the '8038 circuit, you'll want a bunch of NPN+PNP trannies in the same package, and a small package too, I'd imagine. We don't list any in AoE's Table 8.1b, matched transistors, because NPN PNP pairs aren't be matched, exactly. But they are more or less, and hopefully are at the same temperature.

Take a look at Diodes' MMDT3946, a 2n3904 + 2n3906 combo in a sot-23-6 package. They also make MMDT2227M, MMDT4413 and MMDT5451, but these aren't small-signal types. NXP make a 2n3904 + 2n3906 combo, the PMBT3946YPN. THAT makes a matched NPN PNP array, but I doubt you'll be interested. Zetex makes ZXTD6717E6, NPN+PNP 1.5A trannies in sot-23-6.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Why not use a commercial unit? The LM311 will probably outperform anything you can make with discretes:

Steve Wilson

IC designers can throw lots of transistors at a problem; they are basically free. There's probably a better way to do sine shaping (or, actually, sine generation) than copying that circuit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How about the _sine_converter_ portion? The comparators and current sources only create the triangle wave (ala 555 timer style)... which is then shaped to sine. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

If I understood your post correctly, you want to duplicate the ICL8038's internal design with discrete parts because the XR2206 is no longer in production. Why not duplicate the XR2206's sine shaper directly?

If this is for a one-off project, you can still get both types at AliExpress. Judging from the prices, I'd say there's a good chance that they're *not* Chinese knockoffs.

Reply to
Pimpom

In fact, a couple of thousands of MAX038 are still available from Rochester.

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:12:26 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

sil 8038 sine shaper section? Since the 2206 is out of production, I don't think it would hurt to discuss it..

The Breakpoint Wave Shaper. the ICL8038, the AD639 and the XR-2206 are all discussed in Sergio Franco's Design with Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits. The book also discusses The Logarithmic Wave Shaper a nd the JFET Wave Shaper which may be more useful for a discrete design.

I don't know if this is useful for you but just amazes me that I remember b ooks I read long ago.

Reply to
Wanderer

Unfortunately the thermal coupling between the two dice in the single package is hardly better than if you just mounted two single devices from the same reel next to each other.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup. Using a PLL with an AGC-stabilized oscillator, for instance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A 311 in a sine shaper? Do tell.

(Sine shapers take triangle waves and turn them into approximate sine waves, usually with a BJT diff pair. Typical distortion is around a percent, but you can do better if you subtract off a small amount of the original triangle wave to get rid of the cusp in the output waveform.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just the sine shaper. Triangles are easy.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

Actually, just a pair of diodes, clippers to ground, isn't too very awful.

There must be some old Wavetek function generator schematics around. I recall some reasonably simple circuits, all discretes.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den fredag den 22. september 2017 kl. 01.53.31 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

google...

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm interested in the sine shapers. I'll see if I can get Franco's book on intralibrary loan. ILL is one of the few nicer perks of doing my job for 26K $ less then what I'd make in the private sector.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

ICL8038 Comparator usage Functional Diagram, Page 1 Detailed Schematic, Page 4

Triangle wave generator Schmitt trigger followed by integrator

10 Hz to 10 kHz Voltage Controlled Oscillator Page 13

RC oscillator generates linear triangle wave

Steve Wilson

Yah. But Steve was asking about the _sine_shaper_. The triangle/square wave oscillator is the easy part.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That last one is a TANH, mostly.

I was going to suggest that. Really.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Found my Mathcad doc from when we had this conversation back in 2010:

With an LM13700 and a bit of tweaking you should be able to get to 0.03% THD, which is 70 dB SINAD.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs