pimped out

Looks ideal for a kids day-care center. Those young brogrammers will eventually have babies.

I wonder if prices will drop if at

Hope so. Our investment strategy is buy low/sell high, and we need a good low soon. I think we'll get one.

There are now over two million iphone apps.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think we met the other day. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Not with a slide. That's *dangerous*.

Now you sound like Trump. ;-)

..and even the free ones are overpriced.

Reply to
krw

  1. Go speak at some conferences.
  2. Have a track record of long-term delivery of important, difficult or influential solutions.
  3. Not have a poisonous personality.

Works for me anyhow - in the world of software and databases. #4 is perhaps less relevant in electronics, but I suspect that #5 and #6 restrict Sloman, a lot, judging from what I see here.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

There are plenty of good places to get published that don't require a "supervisor" or to be enrolled as a graduate student. Never heard of the "independent scientist"? Ok, you might have to show up at to present your work at a conference or two to get into a Springer volume (that's how I got started) and that means getting your work past a conference panel and peer review, but you definitely don't need an academic supervisor. You do need something worthwhile to contribute to a field of inquiry though, something that wasn't already well known 40 years ago.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

ys.

r graduate students through the process of working out what journals will p ublish, and how to package that in a way that reviewers will like. Mine did n't, and it took me a while to work out what was required.

Of course there are. Most of my publications date from my time in industry, and while I told my employers when I was putting stuff up for publication, they didn't tend to be particularly interested.

two > to get into a Springer volume (that's how I got started) and that mea ns

tely > don't need an academic supervisor.

Clearly not. But if you do do a Ph.D. the work has to be at least potential ly publishable, and the supervisor has a duty to encourage you to publish i t.

Obviously. The Review of Scientific Instruments does publish stuff from tim e to time that doesn't meet this criterion, and I've got a few comments pub lished there drawing attention to this sort of drop-off. This is the most r ecent. George Herold thought it a hoot - he knew the authors I was slagging off and the project they'd presented as their own.

Sloman A. W. ?Comment on ?A versatile thermoelectric temper ature controller with 10 mK reproducibility and 100 mK absolute accuracy? ?? [Rev. Sci. Instrum. 80, 126107 (2009)] ?, Review of Scientif ic Instruments 82, 27101 - 027101-2 (2011).

The business of publishing papers does involve human beings and human error .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s.

I've got a couple of patents that document novel solutions. The "poisonous personality" has more to do with the people who provoke me into pointed res ponses than any dramatic defect in my social reactions - as a colleague I'v e been more cooperative and constructive than many of the people I've worke d with, and even here I'm harder to provoke than - say - Phil Allison.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

say - Phil Allison.

It wouldn't be the first time I've met folk who are difficult online, but perfectly nice when face-to-face. I think it happens with people who have been intimidated - they only speak their minds from a distance. But that still indicates their true state of mind, masked in person.

I'd quite like to meet Phil actually, I think we'd get along fine. He seems to mainly have an issue with willful ignorance.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

In a hospital? I hope not because when those machines are used the cardiac problems are typically serious :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. Cardiac ablation, two weeks ago. PITA (well not exactly the ass, but pain to be sure).

--Keith

Reply to
krw

Probably worse than the deep cleaning session for quadrants 3 & 4 I have coming up this week. However, if it stopped a fibrillation issue for you this can result in a greatly increased quality of life. That's what a lot of cardiological intervention is about, not always just saving a life. Although it can do that as well because some fibrillation events can be rather final.

The nice thing about many cardiac intervention procedures is that the results are almost immediate. One intense case was a guy who came in in very bad shape, could barely move, almost thought "this is it". He still had his road bike hanging in the garage but only because they forgot to give it away. Long story short he got on again, built back the leg muscles and almost rode like in the old days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sure. A-fib (A-flutter, really) isn't usually life-threatening, in itself. Some don't even know they have it. Mine certainly wasn't in that category. I had a cardioversion in May and was fine, until my EP started taking me off the antiarrhythmics (the good ones are nasty drugs).

ABsolutely. I'm no longer in A-Flutter but it took a while to get back to feeling "normal". I still haven't gone back to the gym (maybe tomorrow).

I had GABG two years ago. Four blockages, two 100%, two 80%. Almost immediately I felt better (well the bronchitis with a cracked chest didn't feel great). I was amazed at how easy it was (no pain, really). Within six months I was walking 8-10 miles a day, 3-4 on a treadmill. Until two weeks ago I was up to 10-12 miles (4 miles on the treadmill at 7-9 degrees). That's time (Netflix is great!) limited, not body limited. ;-)

I had the MAZE procedure at the time to fix the A-Fib but it didn't get rid of a re-entrant loop, which got me this year. They think they got it with this ablation. Hopefully, I'm done with that (still have to look at the left carotid in the spring).

Reply to
krw

The risk with atrial fibrillation is the mass of stagnant blood in the atri a. If clots form there, they can end up anywhere. If you are subject to atr ial fibrillation, your risk of stroke is between twice and seven times that of fibrillation-free patients.

I've had atrial fibrillation - essentially only when some goof had prescrib ed a diuretic that had decreased my blood potassium levels - and my cardiol ogist insists that I take an anti-clotting medication to minimise the risk of clot formation if I do go into fibrillation again. The last time I went into fibrillation I noticed it within what must have been a few minutes of onset, so I regard the anti-clotting medication as an over-kill, but my car diologist doesn't want to rely on my perception.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not necessarily life-threatening by itself but a friend had an episode while driving a car, in an intersection. Those few seconds were enough to cause a crash. Luckily not a major one.

I am thinking about Netflix, have to check out their movie selection. First I have to get a box for the TV and was thinking about this one:

Problem is, there are so many versions of it and I know next to nothing about Android. Want to use it for Internet as well. Not sure how safe those are for online banking.

Don't slack off on the exercise. It happens so easily once all the bad symptoms are gone. I picked cycling because you get to see a lot more than when running and certainly more than on a treadmill. We have a stationary bike in the basement room and my wife still uses it daily. I can't, I need to be out there in the wind and weather and all.

Wow, seems like you polished off the whole smorgasbord that cardiology offers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

*A*-Fib? I find that unbelievable. There must be something else going on. A-Fib, itself is fairly benign. It reduces cardiac efficiency a little and greatly increases the chances of a stroke (they fixed that part on me, when I had the CABG/MAZE), but other than that, A-Fib doesn't do much. A-Flutter can be a little worse but it's still pretty benign.

Not sure why you'd want that, vs. an Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, or some such. I use a Roku stick in our bedroom but our main TV has native Internet connectivity. At the gym, I use an old smart phone (I don't want to drop the new one) and the NetFlix app.

The same security is in the web apps. I don't know why you wouldn't just use a PC for PC things, though.

Well, I've been to the gym almost every day (7-days a week) for about

21 months. I missed for a month in October because of a knee and hip problem and missed two the two weeks after the ablation (just went back tonight).

I'm with your wife. I wouldn't use a bicycle, if I had one. There really isn't anywhere, close, where I would even think about riding a bike. The drivers are nuts! I find that actually going to the gym and a FitBit to be great motivators. We have an expensive treadmill upstairs but it's not the same thing as the gym.

I didn't even mention the left atrial appendage clip (used to essentially eliminate the stroke risk due to A-fib). ;-)

Yeah, my insurance company is really pissed at me. ;-) Actually, they've been great. There is always someone available and they've had nurses call regularly to talk about what was going on and offer exercises, and whatever, to help recovery. Great people. I also like that they send me alerts when anyone submits a claim so I can see what they paid, and to whom. They also came to my defense and beat up a couple of hospitals for overcharging me.

Reply to
krw

I doubt that; why would they care?

OTOH the other people in your plan might become pissed off when they find there's so little money left int he pot that their premiums have to rise ten-fold.

Yup, that happens, and the steps by which it happens are obvious, individually justifiable, and well documented.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cases can be different but the fainting risk is clearly there. Else there would be no such warnings by the American Heart Association:

Quote "Some people experience dizziness or even fainting with their AFib episodes". If it comes on fast and you briefly zonk out in the middle of a tricky situation it can go wrong.

I want it independently of a service, whether that service is free or not. Also with a keyboard and not just an air mouse. Controlling via cell phone won't work because we ain't got no smart phones. Don't need them.

Our area also has no bike paths. However, it has nice trails which they recently opened to mountain bikers. Also, I scoped out quiet residential routes that get me into the valley where there are nice segregated bike paths. That requires some offroad riding which is why even my road bike looks like it just came back from Siberia. Fun.

Our exercise bike is a higher end model with display and all. But ... it's stationary.

Be glad that you don't live in a country with socialized a.k.a. rationed medicine.

We have a plan that also runs the hospitals. I had to fight overcharges myself, sometimes to the state level (and always won).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You mean like the USA, where it is rationed based on income, and how much strangers have taken out of your pot?

In the US, one SOP leads to people having their insurance premium increased tenfold, because /unknown strangers/ depleted a small shared pot.

Death by unaccountable insurance company executives and shareholders :(

What a waste of everybody's little remaining life.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

People with low income usually get it for free. Which has also resulted in abuses of the system. We get taxed for that. With the new president that's (hopefully) about to change a lot.

No, by politician. When we moved from Europe to the US in the 90's we found that the health system here in the US provided more bang for the buck. Premiums were actually lower than what we paid in Europe. Until Obamacare happened which increased health care costs by about 2-3x. 2x for healthy people like us and more for those who aren't and are now facing exorbitant co-pays.

You mean the grievance process? It's unfortunately necessary and if one is able to recoup north of $500 with an invested time of maybe an hour that is well worth it. However, to me it's not about the money but about the principle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Er no. Maybe I should have been more explicit about what I meant by "pot". The pot in question is the

*insurance* pot funded *directly* by your *private* insurance contributions. The state, government and politicians are all irrelevant.

When other people (that have also paid their hard-earned money into that pot) take out to high a proportion of what's in that specific pot, other people's contribution can and does increase tenfold.

That's missing the key point of how many US healthcare insurance schemes work.

To repeat, I'm not talking about anything to do with politicians, I'm only talking about individual's private arrangements with healthcare insurance companies.

In my case it was the reverse. On principle I wanted the insurance company to pay for my daughter's NHS operation.

Reply to
Tom Gardner